Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Tune-up

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Tune-up

I'm returning home after a LONG 5 mth deployment and the TA is in dire needs of a tune-up. I'm just curious as to the best plug/wire combo to go with.

I have run Mobile 1 through the car since i've had it (2 yrs) and was planning on switching to Royal Purple. Is it worth?
Old 06-06-2008, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with NGK's and MSD wires, seems to be a popular combination.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

+1 wirth the plugs and wire...sponsor on here is selling both for only 65 shipped...cant beat tht
Old 06-06-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

As Far As The Oil Goes, I Use Mobil Synthetic, And Alwalys Have, I Like It Alot, If It Works For U Thn Theres No Need To Change Unless U Wnna Try Something Different
Old 06-06-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS184
sponsor on here is selling both for only 65 shipped...cant beat tht
Come on. Can't post something like that without at least saying which sponsor, if not a direct link.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here it is for $73: http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1415
Old 06-07-2008, 01:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jRaskell
Come on. Can't post something like that without at least saying which sponsor, if not a direct link.
ha sure i can, here 65 shipped, and hes a great guy 2! https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...438&highlight=
Old 06-07-2008, 09:24 AM

I recently skipped the wires and bought a set of WeaponX K6CF spark plugs for a couple reasons.

1) With an Iridium plug I spend more time driving and less headache changing the number 8 plug.

2) The MSD wires would have saved me about 2000ohms worth of resistance over the NGK plugs and stock wires. The WeaponX spark plugs have saved me 5000ohms worth of resistance over the stock wires and NGK spark plugs, almost double.

3) I kindof like the way the stock wires are so tight on the spark plug.

I may get the MSD wires in the future, but not for the time being. As a side note I did notice a difference over the TR55ix plugs.

I would also suggest cleaning your IAC, throw in some fuel system cleaner and of course some true synthetic oil with a grade 4 base. Mobile 1's new oil formula is a grade 3 oil (not a true synthetic), RP is a true synthetic with a grade 4 oil base. I say change it up.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

hmmm nvr heard of those plugs....price difference?
Old 06-07-2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by LS184
hmmm nvr heard of those plugs....price difference?
*Non-sponsor link removed.

Apparently they are very well known in the mustang scene. I have a friend that used their stuff with great results so I thought I would give them a try. I never would have thought a spark plug swap would make a noticeable seat of the pants difference in my car but they sure did, and the car ran much better. They are more expensive but I will be using them again, if that tells you anything about my experience. The best thing about them is that they are 5000-10000 ohms less in resistance then any other spark plug.

At first I really didn't know if I was going to pay up for them but after I calculated everything, if I made regular copper plug changes at every 10K

$1.99 a plug x 8 cylinders x 6 changes the total = $99.52
+ pay to have them swapped $150each swap x 6 changes = $900
total $999.52! for 60K worth of road time

Using these I paid $10 a plug = $80
+ pay to have them swapped $150 x 1 change = $150
total $230 for 60K worth of road time

By the time it's all said and done I'm WAY over the break even point. I'm a firm advocate that you get what you pay for. Save a couple bucks now and you pay for it in the long run.

Apparently the tests have shown that a 60K set of WeaponX plugs will out perform a brand new set of standard copper plugs, so, if I can get away with better performance, mileage and engine manners for 30 - 60K they will end up more then paying for themselves.

Also, don't quote me on this but I believe you can get them a bit cheaper through their vendors.

Last edited by WILWAXU; 07-24-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by punisherTA
I recently skipped the wires and bought a set of WeaponX K6CF spark plugs for a couple reasons.

1) With an Iridium plug I spend more time driving and less headache changing the number 8 plug.

2) The MSD wires would have saved me about 2000ohms worth of resistance over the NGK plugs and stock wires. The WeaponX spark plugs have saved me 5000ohms worth of resistance over the stock wires and NGK spark plugs, almost double.

3) I kindof like the way the stock wires are so tight on the spark plug.

I may get the MSD wires in the future, but not for the time being. As a side note I did notice a difference over the TR55ix plugs.

I would also suggest cleaning your IAC, throw in some fuel system cleaner and of course some true synthetic oil with a grade 4 base. Mobile 1's new oil formula is a grade 3 oil (not a true synthetic), RP is a true synthetic with a grade 4 oil base. I say change it up.

thanks a lot i didnt know that about the oil. i already run it in the rearend and just figured it to be the natural choice to go with. i should be good with the fuel system my ole lady is in love with the car and has been starting it and occasionally taking it down to put gas in it. hell i'll prolly do it anyways just to be safe
Old 06-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by punisherTA
Here is the link to their site.

*Non Sponsor link removed.

Apparently they are very well known in the mustang scene. I have a friend that used their stuff with great results so I thought I would give them a try. I never would have thought a spark plug swap would make a noticeable seat of the pants difference in my car but they sure did, and the car ran much better. They are more expensive but I will be using them again, if that tells you anything about my experience. The best thing about them is that they are 5000-10000 ohms less in resistance then any other spark plug.

At first I really didn't know if I was going to pay up for them but after I calculated everything, if I made regular copper plug changes at every 10K

$1.99 a plug x 8 cylinders x 6 changes the total = $99.52
+ pay to have them swapped $150each swap x 6 changes = $900
total $999.52! for 60K worth of road time

Using these I paid $10 a plug = $80
+ pay to have them swapped $150 x 1 change = $150
total $230 for 60K worth of road time

By the time it's all said and done I'm WAY over the break even point. I'm a firm advocate that you get what you pay for. Save a couple bucks now and you pay for it in the long run.

Apparently the tests have shown that a 60K set of WeaponX plugs will out perform a brand new set of standard copper plugs, so, if I can get away with better performance, mileage and engine manners for 30 - 60K they will end up more then paying for themselves.

Also, don't quote me on this but I believe you can get them a bit cheaper through their vendors.
Thanks for the info bud hopefully they're the real thing cause i just dropped $100 on plugs. Now just need to find some MSD wires

Thanks

Last edited by WILWAXU; 07-24-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jim02WS6
Thanks for the info bud hopefully they're the real thing cause i just dropped $100 on plugs. Now just need to find some MSD wires

Thanks
I was really happy with my purchase, I'm sure you will be happy as well. Also, the owner is a really good guy and will bend over backwards to help his customers as well. His name is Mark, if you need anything or have any questions tell him Kevin sent you.

Quick Reply: LS1 Tune-up