Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

got pulled over today.. need some serious advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 02:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default got pulled over today.. need some serious advice

I got pulled over today. I was going 20 in a 35 minding my own business thinking nothing of it. What i was told was i was pulled over for having "clear lights" however, he was already incorrect from there. I told the two cops, "sir theyre amber bulbs" blah blah grabs my registration, license, and insurance. next thing you know he asks me to pop my hood. so i comply thinking nothing. Completely stock, just lid and k&n and an apparent "breather". I had no notion of anything being "illegal" because thats how I purchased the car from the dealership used. So because there isnt an emission code or whatever sticker, i have to go to the referee. Can anyone chime in on this whole procedure and the legality of what happened? Also i had a passenger as a witness if that matters.

What im pissed about is that i was basically embarrassed for a good 35-40 mins for having "clear side lights" when they were amber. they had their spot lights directed right at me when i was in front of their patrol car with them by my side. Body searched as well. I was completely cooperative. So i was basically pulled over for nothing, and given a emissions/referee ticket for no reason i feel. Maybe if they were "clear lights" then yes i would have been rightfully pulled over. So all this time being wasted by them, and now me having to take care of this is complete B*ll which is why im really heated. I feel this is harassment in way just because i drive a camaro. Any one with a legal standpoint? I've been harassed several times before, and im fed up with it. so i may take some legal action

So here's how my engine bay looks. What they pointed out was not having a sticker for the lid.. and the little "breather" to the right of the lid.. Are they illegal? like i said i bought it as it is from the dealership.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:33 AM
12 Second Club

the breather is not illegal and I am not positive but I thought it was just exhaust that had to have carb stickers on them? Someone else can chime in on that part. Take it to the ref and when he says its all good, try and further a harassment charge. Get a lawyer or something I guess.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:50 AM
12 Second Club

Damn, that scares me! i have clear corners with a clear lights, but my halos are so bright/white that they make my clear corners look yellow... im guessing thats the only reason i havent been pulled over for that, and ive never had a front license plate either. Ive had the car like this for over 3 years, no problems. But if that was me in your shoes, i would be screwed. I got lid,headers,different intake manifold, no egr, tubes blocked off.... yea, i would be screwed. From what i know, your car doesnt have an illegal setup, the referee might give you some attitude about the little filter on the side, maybe even the lid. And as far as the cops, they seemed to just be abusing their power. You can complain...but will something happen about it? probably not.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

where was this
Old 06-08-2008, 03:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Total harassment. That setup is completely legit. The "breather" is part of your air injector system. Usually it's plugged into the side of the lid to push exhaust back into your engine. But it should still be legal on the side there. Get a lawyer and get this guys badge pulled. It's B*llshit.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Raptor_WS6
where was this
seriously where is this at i got a lawyer for ya if your in GA cause that is Bull **** your motor has nothing to do with your turn signals and he had no probable cause to suspect faulty emissions or street legality from a turn signal he not only miss used his power but he also harrased you i would sue him and then a separate law suit for the county and department he works for...how ever i bet all his cop buddies will watch you like a hawk so i recomend a paint job after its all done lol
seriously thats bull **** thou where did it take place let me know if you want my lawyer
Old 06-08-2008, 03:26 AM
Banned

bring ur witness to court, take pics of ur lights and take pics of illegal lights and show it to the judge, take a picture of ur lid or show the paper of K&n 50 state legal crap to them and tell them it is perfectly legal. giv a testemony to the judge of how u feel about the whole herassment situation and put in that it was also racial
Old 06-08-2008, 03:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ae13291
giv a testemony to the judge of how u feel about the whole herassment situation and put in that it was also racial
true it can be classified as a hate crime given he had no motive to search your motor cause of a headlight.... he was profiling by thinking oh its a sports car probaby lots mods must not be legal) that is a form of a hate crime

PULL HIS BADGE AND ASK FOR WRITTEN APOLOGY shiiiiit go to the media too i'm sure you'll find tones of support
Old 06-08-2008, 03:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

To the best of my knowledge, CARB is only for exhaust...being as it stands for California Air Resource Board I dont think the intake system can cause the car not to comply. Aside from that check with the manufacturer because im sure it has a CARB exemption number anyway.

As for trying to sue for this and that...I would advise against it. I would try for the tickets being removed from your record and not have to pay them, and then keep track of fuel you use and time off of work and get paid for that. It will make you look alot better to a judge.

It really sucks that cops like this ruin it for other cops. I have never had a run in with an officer that turned out bad. As long as you show respect they usually do the same. CHP is a different story.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
To the best of my knowledge, CARB is only for exhaust...being as it stands for California Air Resource Board I dont think the intake system can cause the car not to comply. Aside from that check with the manufacturer because im sure it has a CARB exemption number anyway.

As for trying to sue for this and that...I would advise against it. I would try for the tickets being removed from your record and not have to pay them, and then keep track of fuel you use and time off of work and get paid for that. It will make you look alot better to a judge.

It really sucks that cops like this ruin it for other cops. I have never had a run in with an officer that turned out bad. As long as you show respect they usually do the same. CHP is a different story.
mmmmm thank you Dr. Phil
Old 06-08-2008, 04:15 AM
Launching!

My guess is this happened in Norcal. I hear alot more of those types of situations up north than in Socal.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:20 AM
Launching!

Is there anyone in the legal field to maybe chime in? This all happened East San Jose, CA (southbay). Known to be a stereotypical/racial area. Man, im glad im not alone on this entire ordeal. As a matter of fact, just a while ago, i did send nbc11news and kron4 a message hoping to encourage a headline or cover story. this is what i wrote:

I was recently wrongfully pulled over and finally issued a ticket, at least what i feel. I've done some research on the web, and yes I feel even more strongly about this situation. The story that may interest you all, is what has been documented in recent years - SJPD Profiling. Well, here is a quick gist of what happened and maybe it will encourage a segment or headline.

11PM Saturday: I'm driving 20mph in a 35 zone down Ocala Avenue towards the middle school. I get pulled over apparently for having illegal "clear side lights" when in fact they were the legal amber colored bulbs. I informed the two officers, and they had no comment. They go through the usual license/registration/insurance procedure. Few minutes later, I'm asked to open my hood. Of course, wanting to be fully cooperative, I comply. I thought mentally, that they had no right to open my hood because I had not demonstrated any "street racing" habits. I asked myself what could have prompted such a demand. And I could not think of any reason. They praised me for being very cooperative, yet they body searched me. Moreover, they issue a ticket for having an illegal intake and "Breather." I informed the officers that I had purchased my Camaro as is from the dealer in 04. Keep in mind everything is stock and as is since it was purchased. I'm so frustrated on what happened, and this was not the first. I took it upon myself and searched the web, and interestingly, the Santa Clara Civil Grand Jury has reported on such incidences. My arguments basis is on a stereotypical/racial profiling. Immediately i was pulled over because i drive a Camaro in East San Jose. The SCGJ report indicated that SJPD is known for "vehicles/drivers are sometimes stopped for what seemed to be minor violations... stop appears to have been a pretense to conduct a 'fishing expedition'" In my case, I completely believe that was the officer's intentions. (pulled over for false light accusation, therefore leading to an unlawful opening of the hood - when exhibiting no sign of "street racing". Also, I feel that because I live in East San Jose, a minority (filipino), and simply because I drive a Chevrolet Camaro, that I have been a victim of stereotypical/racial profiling. I feel very strongly that I am not alone on this issue.

I believe this would be an attractive headline or deserving a segment because as indicated in the report, possible victims tend to never report because of fear from the SJPD.

*I may have forfeited my rights when approving them to view underneath my hood. Not knowing i would be in trouble. The intimidation factor and wanting to be completely cooperative may have negatively effected the outcome.

Originally Posted by Fotis
true it can be classified as a hate crime given he had no motive to search your motor cause of a headlight.... he was profiling by thinking oh its a sports car probaby lots mods must not be legal) that is a form of a hate crime

PULL HIS BADGE AND ASK FOR WRITTEN APOLOGY shiiiiit go to the media too i'm sure you'll find tones of support
Old 06-08-2008, 04:28 AM
Launching!

good letter but the only reason why you let him search you car is cause you were tired of him hasseling you and looking for something to ticket you on right
thats what i would say and tell all the news storys all the local news channels
i called the media on a cop who wrongfully pulled me over and harrased me (long story) well it got so much attention by people that had the same cop pull them over and people that were afraid to speak up till they saw my story that the cheif did a formal apology on tv in the loal news channel...and i didn't even get involved in what the citizens were doing to protest the cops i went to court and the judge dismissed my case...
Old 06-08-2008, 04:34 AM
Launching!

also talk to some local lawyers in your area that are better familiar with your towns laws... advice is normaly free but reprisenting you is not so if you tell the you need advice on your case to see if you need represintation then you get it for free
Old 06-08-2008, 04:48 AM
Launching!

great advice. I will sure look into that
Old 06-08-2008, 06:14 AM
9 Second Club

Call Al Sharpton LOL. On a serious note apparently these cops have nothing to do. Sad fact is somewhere around that area at the time you were being harrassed a more serious crime was being comitted.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Although lids have no effect on emissions whatsoever, I'm pretty sure they need a CARB sticker too. I installed a Moroso CAI on a friends '93 Z28, and it came with a CARB sticker. I also had a lid in my '99 Z28 which had no CARB sticker, but I never got caught with it, yet I still passed smog.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Definitely get a lawyer... Not sure of your state laws or tolerance for performance vehicles, but I'd say you'll get the ticket dropped no problem..

As for the pursuit of the harrassment charges, good luck, I hope they get what they deserve... They were basically trolling, looking for anything to get you pulled over and then trying to search and find more...
Old 06-08-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

It sounds like you had clear lenses with an amber bulb, which is still technically illegal. Also the A.I.R. system is modified which is illegal. If you had a lid made for your car year, you could hook it up legitly. California's vehicle codes are rediculous but the police can still write you up for violating them. Take it to the ref and see what he says. If he says your good you dont have to pay the ticket anyway.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Teching In

I would fight to get the tickets taken off, but why sue? Is it b/c thats what the world does today? Everybody is way to sue happy!

Quick Reply: got pulled over today.. need some serious advice