Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

My broken Bogart front wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My broken Bogart front wheel

Well........ long story short. i was pulling into a gas station, came to a stop in the turn lane and i hear this loud air noise (thought it was a semi that passed) i then take off to go into the station and I hear a noise from the front right. We thought, great a flat tire, but yet it was making a weird clunk sound. I get the wheel pulled off and i find this.

The grind mark of the top of the broken piece is from the caliper as i pulled it into the gas station (the noise i heard)

So far Steve from SJM Manufacturing has been taking great care of me to get this resolved (even though i did not purchase the wheels from him). I will keep you all posted on what comes out of this. Luckily i was stopped when this happened so no damage other then the ruined tire and wheel.

I very rarely drive these on the street, nor do i drive far when i have them on, because i have been scared of this happening. I'm just glad i wasn't doing 120 mph down the track, lol.

Last edited by fitz98ta; 06-09-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:16 PM
8 Second Club

Holy $H!T.....that could've gotten ugly in a hurry! I can't imagine why a wheel would come apart like that. Looks like the metal is thin in that spot, maybe from the way its forged/stamped/whatever? Hopefully SJM or Bogart can give you some insight and get that taken care of. I'm wondering if there's something you need to look for on the other 3 wheels. Wow, scary.

Craig
Old 06-09-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call me nuts, but it looks like something hit the inside lip of that wheel.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Redlinez
if you mean the grind mark at the peak of the broken bend, that is where it rubbed the caliper after it broke
Old 06-09-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Word. That is wierd.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlinez
im with you on that one. must have caught the drive at a weird angle.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I were SJM or bogart I would tell you you had to buy another one. You obviously hit something.
1) thin air doesn't leave an obvious center of the bend like that and
2) you said the tire was ruined too, you hit something a rim bending and letting the air out when you are stopped like you claim won't mess up a tire.

Methinks you hit a curb or pothole or something and don't wanna man up and replace your broken parts. If the metal is thin there, so be it and it was a contributing factor, but it didn't just do that itself out of nowhere, and it sure didn't mess up the tire on it's own
Old 06-09-2008, 06:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
If I were SJM or bogart I would tell you you had to buy another one. You obviously hit something.
2) you said the tire was ruined too, you hit something a rim bending and letting the air out when you are stopped like you claim won't mess up a tire.

Methinks you hit a curb or pothole or something and don't wanna man up and replace your broken parts. If the metal is thin there, so be it and it was a contributing factor, but it didn't just do that itself out of nowhere, and it sure didn't mess up the tire on it's own
well i didn't say thin air broke the wheel. and you have no idea how careful i am with this car. I for a fact know i didn't hit a pothole or curb or anything else. I got the tire off tonight and there is a grove of thinner metal where it cracked. It cracked then from the looks of it bent in like that as i rolled over the cracked part. The tire was cut by the jagged metal from the wheel breaking, that is how the tire is ruined, not from hitting anything. Also the tire is more then likely good, it just has some cuts in it.

I am in no way bashing Bogart wheels in anyway, just posting what happened to me. I am sure they will take great care of me. Like stated I called Steve cause he is an outstanding sponsor that I knew i could call and be taken care of. I will continue to run Bogart wheels long after this as well.

And as far as your opinion on what you would do if you Bogart, I could care less, so please keep those comments to yourself. If I screwed up and hit something i would "man up" to it. That is a bunch of BS dude. I have way to much time and money in this car to be careless with it.

and once again, the grind mark on the top of the bend was from it hitting my caliper as i pulled into a parking spot, you can even see the red paint it took off of it

Last edited by fitz98ta; 06-09-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That does look pretty nasty. We'll take a look at it and see what we can do for you.

You should have received the RMA by this point. Shoot me the tracking number once you actually put it in the mail. This way I'll know when it was actually sent out.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fitz98ta
well i didn't say thin air broke the wheel. and you have no idea how careful i am with this car. I for a fact know i didn't hit a pothole or curb or anything else. I got the tire off tonight and there is a grove of thinner metal where it cracked. It cracked then from the looks of it bent in like that as i rolled over the cracked part. The tire was cut by the jagged metal from the wheel breaking, that is how the tire is ruined, not from hitting anything. Also the tire is more then likely good, it just has some cuts in it.

I am in no way bashing Bogart wheels in anyway, just posting what happened to me. I am sure they will take great care of me. Like stated I called Steve cause he is an outstanding sponsor that I knew i could call and be taken care of. I will continue to run Bogart wheels long after this as well.

And as far as your opinion on what you would do if you Bogart, I could care less, so please keep those comments to yourself. If I screwed up and hit something i would "man up" to it. That is a bunch of BS dude. I have way to much time and money in this car to be careless with it.

and once again, the grind mark on the top of the bend was from it hitting my caliper as i pulled into a parking spot, you can even see the red paint it took off of it
Well stated!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Would be nice if you could mic the section of the wheel that blew apart and get a few comparison measurements along the rest of the wheel. What psi did you have them at? Do you think the air pressure was a contributing factor?
Old 06-09-2008, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
That does look pretty nasty. We'll take a look at it and see what we can do for you.

You should have received the RMA by this point. Shoot me the tracking number once you actually put it in the mail. This way I'll know when it was actually sent out.
THANKS AGAIN MAN! i will be getting the wheel shipped out tomorrow. I will pm you the tracking numer

-Jason
Old 06-10-2008, 12:56 AM
Launching!

dam that sucks good luck
Old 06-10-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Damn man! Glad its getting fixed. Met you the other night at Texas Roadhouse for a second.
I was hanging out w/ Justin (Stangkilr) Car is so clean! LOVE those smoothed side markers! That TA that showed up later with the 275/60/15's made me decide to for sure sell my 28x10.5's.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

holy dukes of hazard, that looks kinda crazy. Glad you're okay tho man
Old 06-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oneBADDz

Your post is purely speculative, with no concrete information to attribute why the wheel failed. Go press people's buttons elsewhere.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

damn that sucks, clean *** car man i seen it this weekend in springfield
Old 06-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Launching!

i would of said grab a digital caliper and measure the thickness of the wheel where it was. i would of been curious to see how thin it was spun there.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Banned Village Idiot

damn that looks crazy lol
Old 06-11-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Most wanted
i would of said grab a digital caliper and measure the thickness of the wheel where it was. i would of been curious to see how thin it was spun there.
As tweaked as that thing is, I doubt you would be able to get an accurate measurement of how thick the wheel was. That material is all torn up and yanked apart, so this measurement probably wouldn't reveal anything about thicknesses at the time of manufacturing.

To the OP, glad everything else is ok and I hope you get everything taken care of. That could have been nasty at speed...

Quick Reply: My broken Bogart front wheel