Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car running weird... help pls

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car running weird... help pls

The car idles very rough, almost like its missing or something, but soon as its past 1000 rpm, it runs smooth and fine. Theres no drivability problems as long as the car is above 1k rpm. But idling, coasting through parking lots, its very rough and hesitant. Even when taking of from a dead stop it stutters til its past 1k and then runs fine. The car is an A4.

The car showed a SES light, and when I checked it on AutoTap, it showed:

P0171 - Fuel Lean Bank 1
P0174 - Fuel Lean Bank 2
P0748 - Pressure Control Solenoid - Electrical

I ran the car w/ Autotap and the mv stayed between 910 and 930 on Bank 1 and between 930 and 950 on Bank 2. Which I thought would indicate a richer mixture. Either way, the code comes on and off very randomly. Car runs great w/ any throttle and over 1k rpm. But below, it shows something is definitely wrong. And this happens in gear or outta gear.

Only recent mod is the !EGR (cut the end of the tube behind the tb)... not sure if its related or not. Should I disable the AIR system because of it?

Any ideas?
Old 08-16-2003, 03:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default Re: Car running weird... help pls

You have an intake leak. You are going to have to find out where air is entering your intake from behind the MAF. A propane bottle squirting it around the intake works wonders. Just go easy on the propane.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

either that or some carb cleaner. Just spray it around your intake. When you spray carb cleaner on the spot its leaking the engine will start to die a bit.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this problem yesterday, same symptons may be a different cure. Bit looking at the enine from the front, where the air goes into the engine look on the left below the throttle control there is a vacuum pipe, mine had a hole in it, replaced the pipe and cleared the error codes, no error codes now, even after 40miles.