Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

factory head unit problems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default factory head unit problems.

alright so i have 2 camaros. one with an aftermarket headunit and one with the stock one.

on the car with the stock one (1998) the lights were starting to go out and it just angred me. so i dug around and got the factory headunit from the other one (2002) and the security code. and put it into the 98. well the code worked fine. and the stereo works fine but randomly when i turn the car off and i later go back to drive to my next desitnation the headunit has LOC agian on the display. so i enter in the code and it comes up to SEC i press am/fm and the radio and all presets work fine but the clock is always off. before i did this i had the battery disconnected for a few days put the stereo in and then reconnected the battery. my volts well above acceptable high 13's just wondering if anyone has an sugestons.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

any ideas?
Old 06-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If the problem was happening all the time, I would say that you don't have battery power to the head unit - an intermittent problem is harder to diagnose.

The constant (battery) power controls the clock and the TheftLock functions. Check the PWR ACCY fuse (#7) which protects the radio's constant power source. If that's okay then check the orange wire in the radio harness using a test light or multimeter to make sure you have constant power.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

the problem was never present until i put the 02 radio into the 98 but i never remember seeing that when it was in the 02 i figured i would pull it out tonight and make sure all the plugs are tight.

and i'll check everything you said white.