General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Water Passenger Side from Rain

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Passenger Side from Rain

I have a 99 trans am and everytime it rains the passenger side gets wet. I discovered that it was leaking from inside the console

I shot water into this grill here below the windshield:

And thats how i discovered that is where the water is getting through. I first thought it was the t-tops leaking but didnt find any evidence.So before i decide to start taking things apart with out really knowing what to look for, i was wondering if anyone has had the same problem or can give me some advise on what to look for.

Thanks in Advance!!
Old 06-19-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow that's a lot of water. Sure it's not a clogged AC condensate drain? Maybe the air box is full and using a hose just added more. I've had leaves in mine before so I'm sure water can get in there. I'd pull the blower/motor (easy) and look inside, also check to be sure it's dripping outside the car on the passenger side after running the AC. Just an idea....
Old 06-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Ill try the blower motor (it will be my first time). So its pretty simple to take it down? if you had leaves in your blower most likely the water dripping is linked to this. Thanks ill check into the blower and ill post after im done!
Old 06-19-2008, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Do you have an aftermarket stereo installed?

Reson being, 99% of installers put the power line through the pcm grommet on the backside of the glove box... if it's not sealed properly the water follows the power line in and you get a soaked floor.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by atxz/28maro
Do you have an aftermarket stereo installed?

Reson being, 99% of installers put the power line through the pcm grommet on the backside of the glove box... if it's not sealed properly the water follows the power line in and you get a soaked floor.
Yes i do the previous owner had one installed. That5 makes sense because the leak is coming from under the glove box behind abit away behind the Radio. Is it something that will be obvious after removing the glovebox?
Old 06-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

The easy way to see the gromet is to remove the PCM, just below it, you will see the gromet. Mine got dislodged during the power wire run for the amp. It's hard as hell to even feel the gromet from the inside, much less see it. Follow the amp main power wire up behind the glove box to find it inside. You'll have to pull the kick panel too.