Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Mustang owner with the last name of Ford, looking to move on to an LS1.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 04:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang owner with the last name of Ford, looking to move on to an LS1.

Well, my last name is Ford...lol. And, I have been a mustang fanatic for my whole life, but about a month ago I drove my first LS1. It so happened to be a H/C bolt-ons car too. Omg, it was wicked. So, since then I have been looking for the right T/A or Camaro to buy. My car right now is a 97 mustang GT convertible with 3.73 gears off road h-pipe and mac pro dumps, and is very sloooowww.

I have a few basic questions, reliabilty wise, how does a M6 t-56 and a 4l60e A4 compare with about 400-450whp. Reason I ask, is if I were to get one I would like to do basic bolt-ons, electric cutouts, fast 92mm intake manifold, and PRC stg2.5 5.3L heads with a MS4 cam on a M6 T/A with 4.10's. Also with the head and cam combo, would I have PTV issues? I heard no, due to they have sunken valves what ever they are, but I have also heard from other people that they aren't anything special. Any insight on those questions would be great.

Also, one little note on how much I nuthugged FORD, is that when I got my car (my parents paid for it, but I had put 2K more than they paid for it just to get it running properly) is that my dad called me when I was at work telling me there was an awesome red trans am that is newer than the mustang I wanted. I told him, hell no, you know I want a mustang, not some POS transam mullet machine... didn't use those words but I was thinking it. Mine is a 97 meaning I could have gotten an LS1. He really wanted me to get that car, I guess parents are always right afterall.

Thats pretty much all about me. Hope to sell my car soon and be driving a 400whp+ N/A T/A in the near future.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ford88
My car right now is a 97 mustang GT convertible with 3.73 gears off road h-pipe and mac pro dumps, and is very sloooowww.
Duh... haha

I heard not to get the MS4 cam. cause it's just too big for a DD. almost all your mods are crazy really for a DD. haha. if you want better gas mileage and an overall faster car get a 6 speed. An A4 can still be really fast (with a big stall converter) but not so much if racing from a punch. The good thing about an auto is it's not nearly as likely to break that 10 bolt rearend. If you have a car that gets good traction with drag tires then your rear end will not last long in a 6 speed car. You can get into the 10's on a stock 10 bolt in an auto. A local guy ran 11.0 on a stock rear, tranny, and motor with nitrous and a stall converter.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

plus I would move this thread to the newb forum. you would probably get more replies
Old 06-20-2008, 05:37 AM
Teching In

Yeah, it does seem that I want stuff to be a little overboard. But, that's because that's what I want haha. I of course would do gears then exhaust etc. so I don't just hop into an 11's car from having my 15's car and kill myself doing a 60-70mph burnout.

I know the rear-end is generally weak in comparison to the rear-end I have but what I was trying to ask is how strong are the T-56's, because from what I have heard the LT1s had much stronger 6-speeds in them. But, what makes the big ol nasty cam not so DD friendly. Do you know how much mileage it would get?

And, if someone could move the thread that would be great, because I don't know how to do it if I could.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The T-56 is a very strong trans the only thing I would becareful of is high miles and of course the stock clutch that is weak. But You can make just as much power with a smaller cam. I put down 457/429 with a 232/234 cam and stock intake manifold. I have a LS2 but Its the same in principle. Smaller cams like mine make good lowend torque and is great for dd. With the right head combo u can make killer power and torque with out all the issues of big cams like worse gas milage/harder to tune/ but they sound nice!
Old 06-21-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the biggest I would go is an MS3. that's what I have and i love everything about it
Old 06-21-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome to the LS1 side of life. Be sure to get a t-topped f-body so you can air out that mullet!
Old 06-21-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

welcome aboard!
post pics when you get your LS1.