Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FTRA install question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FTRA install question

THe plastic air deflector panel that goes on the AC condensor...Is it a necessary part? Just curious what its purpose is.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:01 AM
TECH Regular

anyone? I know many of you have this mod
Old 06-25-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just cut it like the instructions show and put it back on.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:27 PM
FormerVendor

It helps to divert air into the ram air kit so it is a good idea to install it as the instructions indicate.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If i have a functional WS6 hood, is still advised to seal the lid to take full affect of the FTRA?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
If i have a functional WS6 hood, is still advised to seal the lid to take full affect of the FTRA?
yes like i told you last night the flow is going to go the path of least resistance...which will be out the front of the front slit...

pm FTRA he will let you know this has been talked over many times...your functional stock ram air does basically nothing over just a stock formula...

could even try it at the track both ways and i guarantee it will be faster with a seal...would make that bet any day...ram air hoods are just for looks, not the best way to deliver air "ram air"
Old 06-26-2008, 11:02 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by chrs1313
yes like i told you last night the flow is going to go the path of least resistance...which will be out the front of the front slit...

pm FTRA he will let you know this has been talked over many times...your functional stock ram air does basically nothing over just a stock formula...

could even try it at the track both ways and i guarantee it will be faster with a seal...would make that bet any day...ram air hoods are just for looks, not the best way to deliver air "ram air"
What he said is true
Old 06-26-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

Installed it today. Found something interesting. My car does not have the AC air deflector that requires a cut. I have had the car for almost 3 years and just found this out. My water temperature at operating range was always in the high 190's. After the install, at idle once the car was warmed up, temperatures went up to 204.

I am very pleased with the performance of the FTRA. Before install, air intake temperatures would increase 10-20 degrees while sitting at a stop light, only to decreased once the car got moving again. Today, the air intake temperatures remained stable during driving, as well as idleing. This is a very good thing.

Overall impressions thus far, the car feels like it pulls harder in the upper rpms, which is what its supposed to do. Not sure when I will get to the track, but im sure the results of dropping a tenth or 2 is very achievable.