Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JAAM “ram air” kit unplanned rain test

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:12 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default JAAM “ram air” kit unplanned rain test

I installed the JAAM kit in the Spring. I removed all three baffles and am still using a paper air filter. Today I got caught in a rain storm on the expressway. I kept the rpm’s down and drove easy. I was careful to avoid hitting large areas of standing water and was not hit with too much water splashed up from opposing traffic once off the expressway. I probably drove ~15 miles over ~20min in rain that ranged from moderate to very heavy. As soon as I got the car in the garage I pulled the air filter. It was damp but not dripping wet. I saw no moisture beyond the filter. I will definitely be re-installing my K&N now that I have a proper gasket, but the kit seemed handle the rain ok. Driving in rain with the kit probably will not hydrolock your engine, but I will try to avoid heavy rain in the future all-the-same.

Last edited by bsf; 07-02-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes.

I'm gonna do the SUX2BU ramair pretty soon, but I'm gonna keep a block-off panel in the car at all times to throw under the air filter if I hit a storm.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I have a homemade ram air setup on the standard hood - made by cutting openings in the hood brace. I did an experiment similar to yours and found water puddling on the sheetmetal under the airbox.

So I made some rain blockers that I use in heavy rain. It's a pain to put them on when it's pouring outside, but it's worth the peace of mind.