Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who has gone from an M6 to an A4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who has gone from an M6 to an A4?

ive had a black 01 M6 for two years now, just clicked over 76k miles and i know a guy at a dealership who wants to sell me an 02 sunset orange metallic A4 about 50k miles... he's going to give me a good deal on it... just wondering if i'm going to end up hating myself for going from an M6 to an A4?!!
Old 07-05-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wish i would of gottin a a4, m6's have too much to worry about, i drove a nice 02 ss with full boltond built trans and a nice stall and...yea auto man...
Old 07-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ttranssam
i wish i would of gottin a a4, m6's have too much to worry about, i drove a nice 02 ss with full boltond built trans and a nice stall and...yea auto man...
yea i kinda agree... i feel like i'm beatin on my m6 everytime i take it out and i've had alot of trouble out of my gears and rear end ever since i got the car... i just feel like an auto will last longer... i've actually never driven an a4 ws6 so i guess monday when i test drive it then i'll know for sure....
Old 07-05-2008, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

Not me. I made the swap from auto to m6 in this car, and I can honestly say that I enjoy the car a lot more now for street driving and the occasional romp.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Depends on how you drive and what you want to do with it. My experience owning both:

Just tooling around town, it doesn't matter much; I like 'em both about equally, with maybe a slight nod to A4. Spirited driving on the street, or through twisties, I like the M6 better. Track = A4. Don't want to get into all the issues with rear ends, clutches, etc. by taking it to the dragstrip. Plus the A4 will always be more consistent.

Something to consider, IMO, is that the A4 won't be satisfying without some tuning, a Transgo shift kit, and a higher stall converter.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:42 AM
11 Second Club

I started into the LS1 world with a 98 Z M6. It was nasty for roll races, but I loved going to the strip and it was nothing but frustrating there, because I didn't have the $$$ for a 12-bolt. Sold it and bought an auto 01 Z.

For me, the ideal situation is a M6 daily driver and an A4 racer. I can't afford both so I went for the A4 and stuck with it.

Both are expensive to build to be really strong. A solidly built A4 with a nice converter will run you at least $3k.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:27 AM
TECH Regular

They both have ups and downs, but when it comes down to it what kind of car are you trying to build a DD or a weekend/race car? I love shifting when i want at any speed or RPM although a A4 with manual valve body will do the same thing, but whatever you decide your LSWNDR powered so it's still gonna runs it's *** off unless you let backyard mechanics do the wrenching on your toys lol goodluck with it
Old 07-06-2008, 01:31 AM
11 Second Club

Mines an M6 and ive spent about 3k in repairs and 3k on the 9in...I mainly drag race, so I wish i would have went with an auto, because as the car gets faster, the car becomes a handful on hoosiers. But Since the car was built as a 6spd, ill never convert THIS car lol.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Im gonna say auto...sticks just seem too "high schoolish"
Old 07-06-2008, 01:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you got tha A4 with the gear tuned right man its off the chain
Old 07-06-2008, 03:04 AM
TECH Addict

M6 > A4 .... Black < SOM

Flip a coin man.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JCoca
Wait... what? You didn't buy a stick cause you can't launch worth a ****. How his a stick high schoolish.... I guess an 03/04 Cobra is HighschooliSHH
Old 07-06-2008, 09:58 AM
FormerVendor

I miss my M6 GTO... it was honestly much more fun to drive. But I got more into drag racing after owning my first GTO and I sold it for an A4. I don't want to say that I regret going A4 because I'm running 11.0 in the 1/4 mile without an expensive clutch and rear CV shaft upgrade... but I do miss the M6. Not to mention the better gas mileage that the M6 got.

Unless you plan on doing a bit of drag racing I would stick with the M6. You may think you're tired of changing gears manually now, but once you go to an A4 the fun is over pretty much. My current A4 is MUCH faster than my M6, but it's just not as fun. Sit on the pro's and con's for a while before you decide to pull the trigger.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
M6 > A4 .... Black < SOM Flip a coin man.
+1 on SOM. Reason I bought my 01 was SOM ... plus M6 with factory Hurst. Didn't need another car, but just couldn't pass it up.

Another factor to consider is if you're in heavy traffic a lot. Manuals become wearisome after a while in that setting.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Launching!

first off, sorry guys i should have given a little more info when i posted this thread.... the car is going to be used as a weekend car only.... i only plan on taking it to the track a couple times a year just for fun, nothing serious... and then the occasioinal street race... only mods ill prob do is lid, full exhaust, and gears.... there's no doubt that the M6 wins the fun factor award but i just kinda feel like the A4 is going to last a little longer...

btw today i went and looked at the car i'm thinking about getting (02' ws6 sunset orange metallic A4) and it's pretty badass... didnt get to drive it but it looks like its in great shape, it's also bone stock which is what i want cause i wanna be the one to do all the work to it.... and i got a set of chrome C6's to go on it.... so with that said i'm leaving pretty heavily towards the A4
Old 07-06-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you put a stall in it and do a few more mods to get the power up you will love the A4. They are more fun than you might think with a few mods.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm in the same boat as you are man. I have to sell my M6 and get a cheaper ls1(trying to cut down on payments) and only 2 out of 10 of the cars i'm finding are M6's. I really think i'm going to miss the M6. I'd say if you dont plan on going to the track, I'd stick with the M6. I just hope i won't get bored with the car if i get an A4.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm swapping from A4 to T-56. I JUST re-built the A4 (4L-60E) and had it semi-race built. Haven't even drivven a tank of gas in town on this tranny. Not too agressive on the street but tough enough for the track (Minus NOS). When I got it, even the output shaft was broken, so I made sure more durable parts were put back in. I don't want the same **** to happen to ME! A stall and valve tuning were some of the other add-ons. I could try to get a full spec sheet from my mechanic if you need it.

Anyway, since I'm making the swap, if anyone wanted to take this A4 off my hands for a little green I'd sure let it go. It'd have to be pick-up and if you're swapping from M6, I'll even trade you Computers so we BOTH won't have to worry about re-flashing em. Oh, and my car is a 00 WS6.

Swat
Old 07-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

LOL...... and everyone who buys a new Z06 is in high school, right?!
Old 07-08-2008, 01:54 AM
Launching!

lol i don't know about all that... but now a V6, that's "high schoolish"

so i test drove the SOM ws6 today.... runs great, very strong... but the only thing i'm concerned about is that it may have been wrecked before... because the hood alignment is a little off (the gap between the hood and headlight is alot wider on the pass side than the drivers side) and the car is way out of align... so i'm a little worried about that.... other than that it's a sweet car... prob gonna go back tomorrow and make the deal.... what do u guys think tho? i'd like some opinions!