Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HID Conversion Kit problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Conversion Kit problem

How's it going? I bought one of those HID Conversion Kit for my 99 Camaro SS on Ebay. To be honest, it looks great and everything. They work fine, but...... one day I was driving at night and I starting hearing like a little motor running. I lowered the music and noticed it was my wipers. I noticed at night, and at night only, when my HID's are on, the wiper motor would come on. It would just make a buzzing noise. Then, if I would switch to the high beams, and switch back to the HID's it would stop for a few seconds and start again. This happens every once and a while. So I don't have this problem every time I drive at night, but it does get annoying. Hope someone can help.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Have you confirmed that it is the windshield wiper motor? If so, how?

I think it is something else than that.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Teching In

its the ballast.i had a hid kit do that once and a while too
Old 07-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by samson_420
Have you confirmed that it is the windshield wiper motor? If so, how?

I think it is something else than that.
Like I said, i started hearing a motor sound. I lowered the music, and noticed it was my wipers. Because the wipers would occasionally jump. They would only move maybe an inch or two, but it was the wipers.
At first I actually thought a speaker was shot or something, if the wipers hadn't moved, I would have never found the problem.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Silver Metal
its the ballast.i had a hid kit do that once and a while too
What did you do to fix the problem? I mean, it works fine every once and a while, but then like i said, it would start to do it again. It's annoying as hell! I just feel like taking the HID kit out and installing the regular bulbs in again.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Teching In

i had to redo the wiring since it wasn't a plug&play type of deal.The whine you hear is the ballast using power to warm up,which is normal but only on start up

did you splice any of the wiring to make it work with the camaro?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Silver Metal
i had to redo the wiring since it wasn't a plug&play type of deal.The whine you hear is the ballast using power to warm up,which is normal but only on start up

did you splice any of the wiring to make it work with the camaro?
I didn't splice anything. It was simple to install. But if it's the ballast, how do you explain the wipers moving? I'm going to try and get a video of this. The next time this happens i'll get the video camera.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Do you remember the wipers ever doing that before you installed the HID"s and are you sure that there was not any wire splicing. It is hard to get good contact for the HID"s without cutting and connecting wires.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ballasts do this on my HID fog lights kit. You know how when you lock/unlock your car and the lights flash? Stand near your car and do that, maybe with the hood open. Every time I do that, the lights flash, therefore the HID kit must activate. The ballasts make this weird whining-like noise. That might be your sound?

Maybe the new HID kit is robbing too much power from your car.. Idk about the rest
Old 07-24-2008, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

My kit caused this too. My solution was to take the wipers out. But i also called the place i bought the kit from and he said to make sure the ballast housings weren't grounded to the car.