Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

aux/ipod input in monsoon

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 11:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default aux/ipod input in monsoon

ok, i have a 99t/a w a stock monsoon hu. its the single cd hu. where can i buy an adapter that i can hook to the back then plug in my ipod. i dont really care if the steering wheel controls are in sync to the ipod or not. i really dont feel like changing my hu. if someone has a suggestion for me, that would be great because im getting tired of the static through my fm transmitter.

thanks
Old 07-07-2008, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat. 00 Z28

Took out the HU figered since there's an AUX button there was an aux port but guess not lol. Splice the aux wire and hard wire it into the harness is the next step i guess...sigh
Old 07-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

This subject has been beat to death around here. The Reader's Digest version is that there are adapters that plug into the CD changer port on the back of the head unit to create an auxiliary input port with RCA jacks (the GM9-AUX is the most popular adapter). Unfortunately, it probably won't work on your 99. The adapters will work with any cassette head unit but not on CD head units prior to late 99. There is no way to tell if you have an early or late model HU without opening it up to check the stamping codes inside (or just taking a chance and trying it). All 2000 and newer CD head units support the adapters.

Your other option is a wired FM modulator. These work similarly to the wireless ones except that they plug directly into your antenna cable eliminating almost all of the noise and interference. In fact, the good ones produce sound quality similar to being parked near a strong local FM station broadcast antenna.