Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alpine CDA-D855 no sound from speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Alpine CDA-D855 no sound from speakers

Fellas, I took my car out of storage and the stereo doesn't work. It's stock except for an Alpine CDA-D855 head unit. It worked fine before I stored the car. The head unit lights up, and I'm able to change channels, seek, adjust volume, etc. except there's no sound from the speakers. At full volume, there's the slightest barely audible distortion sound, that's it.

I took out the head unit to see if the harness was hooked up and it looks good. I never touched anything since it was installed quite a few years ago.

I'm pretty much lost when it comes to electronics, so I was hoping someone could guide me in the right direction, things to look for, troubleshooting tips. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

By coincidence, the same question was asked just yesterday: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/950559-monsoon-not-putting-out-any-sound.html
Old 07-09-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks WhiteBird, I checked all the fuses with a voltmeter and they're okay. My power windows work okay and everything else from what I can see, just no sound from the stereo. I'm not sure what to check next. How can you store a car and the stereo is fine, and then when you take off the cover and start it the stereo doesn't work? Very strange.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

That's rather strange. The fact that the radio works but no sound from the speakers points to the amp being the problem. The RADIO ACCY and POWER ACCY fuses would be the logical source of the problem since you haven't done anything to the wiring or amp itself.

Is it possible that the head unit lost its configuration and has its speaker-level output turned off? I'm not familiar with that head unit but some can turn off speaker-level output so that only the preouts produce signal for an external amp. That would mean no signal to the Monsoon amp and no output at your speakers.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks WhiteBird, I was thinking that it must have something to do with the head unit. I'll read through the Alpine manual carefully and see if there is a way to reset it. I should probably inspect the amp too for the heck of it, ground wire, etc. If all seems well there, it must be the head unit. Thanks again.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Great news for me WhiteBird, there's a reset button behind the face plate. I used the tip of a paperclip to reset the head unit and I'm back in business.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:36 AM
12 Second Club

it was probly the setings on the hu. i know my older alpine cda-7892 has a function to turn off the internal amp if the user is runing external amps. if the internal power is off you wont get any sound from the hu if its set up to run the stock system of the speaker wires coming from the hu.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Shaun, I'm sure that's what it was. It just seems strange that this year it happened. I've taken the car out of storage for years, same as this year, and the HU manintained its setting. At least I'll know what to do if it happens again.

Quick Reply: Alpine CDA-D855 no sound from speakers