Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

How to assemble AN lines.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to assemble AN lines.

This is my first time assembling an AN line myself, I had a buddy taht did them for me before but he moved away. I cant find any how to instructions or video anywhere on this site, google, youtube etc etc. Does anyone have a good set of how to instructions, or a link to a video or something? I may make a youtube video for others if theres now one already.

I'm using aeroquip reusable fittings, and aeroquip AQP stainless braided hose.

Last edited by BIG BAD BLACKSS; 07-09-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/b...ion/index.html

That's not a bad starting point...I've assembled lots of braided lines for my car, and have never had a leak (if you look a couple posts down at the fuel rails thread, you'll see my pics on the last page). I use high quality lines (Earl's, although Aeroquip would be right up there in the quality department), and high quality fittings.

For cutting the lines, I use a Summit Racing cutter (looks like garden pruners), wrap the lines with electrical tape prior to that to prevent fraying (best tape I've found), and use a little 20-wt. oil before pushing the fitting into the hose.

If you have some cash to spend, I really like my Earl's double ended AN wrenches for keeping the fittings nice and relatively scratch-free, and I also have their pressure test kit just to make sure the lines don't leak before I run them to really inconvenient places (on top of the fuel tank, behind the intake manifold, etc).

I dunno...I've never had any problems, but I've always paid a little extra money up front for the more expensive stuff.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Here...try this too:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=line+braided

Took me a while to remember it was in the tools and fabrication section. There are some decent ideas in there...basically, everyone does it a little differently.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Damn...I'm just full of random information...

When I say I've had the best luck with the more expensive fittings and lines, it is because I have had a bad experience with a pre-assembled Russel line and fittings...the swivel fittings (90* and 45*) both leaked around the swivel area, and would never stop. I could tell because the fittings over time would get greasy and grimey after running the car for any length of time. I steer away from Russel stuff when I can now...
Old 07-09-2008, 07:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On my car I used the lower-buck "ProClassic" hose
(nylon braid over some sort of rubber) and its Jeg's
equivalents (liked the Jeg's hose because it had no
little green dots on it, some fittings Russell didn't
offer, etc.). It went together insanely easy, no leaks,
nice black-on-black look instead of that crazy
Christmas ornament kind of thing. Plus you can cut it
with a razor blade and be done. But it was mainly about
looks, I wanted a near invisible fuel rail & plumbing job.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

I guess I'll find out how the aeroquip swivels hold up. I have both 45s and 90s from them. I wonder if the huge bolt cutters for locks and other crap would work or if it would smash the braiding and make a mess. I already ordered some double sided AN line wrenches from jegs, should be here tomorrow. I will be running a big fuel system and will need em for all the lines for that too so I just went ahead and got em. Between those and some electrical tape hopefully my fittings will stay colored nicely.

Oh and thanks for the article, with the pics it was way easier to understand for me. I guess a pic says a million words lol. I'm no longer intimidated my this job at all, even though I hear the second fitting can be a **** to get started. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Last edited by BIG BAD BLACKSS; 07-10-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cheaper fittings tend to have more issues assembling. The summit / jegs fittings are cheap feeling compared to a proper earls/russel/aeroquip. The hose i have seen no diffrence, the nylon braid is just a pita unless you use a flame to singe the little hairs together so it does not fray.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

ive had great luck with aeroquip. i have also used their teflon lined stuff and its badass.. only downfall is the fittings for the teflon stuff is only available in a goldish silverish hybrid looking anodize kinda thing.. and i prefer black

i have used the cheap stuff (well in all honesty just the jegs offerings) also and i do agree with jake@epp.. it feels cheaper.. you can just tell but so far ive had no issues with their stuff either

just take your time and use a little common sense. those who have suggested a little more of an initial investment to get higher quality stuff hit the nail on the head IMO.. fuel lines just arent the place to skrimp by on.. fires are bad.. ive seen one nice car burn to the ground at a car show in an HEB parking lot.. it wasnt pretty and the dude was in tears. save money elsewhere. in fact this scares me.. becuase the car i did with the jegs fittings is a mint *** 67 fastback mustang that is straight up FINE with like 30K original miles.. its ridiculous. He's my boss tho, so i guess i can sneak a fire extinguisher into his car lol

Quick Reply: How to assemble AN lines.