Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What sensors are these (Prof. Products mani questions?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation What sensors are these (Prof. Products mani questions?)

What sensor is the round one on the back by my intake mani.?

Also I dont think my engine builder installed any knock sensors on my engine, if he did were would the wiring come out? I have a Painless hotrod harness and cant find the knock sensor wiring. What a clown if he didnt, im so mad I have to take the mani off. I just got all the acc and stuff on.

Were can i get a MAP and some knock sensors? Engine is from an 03 vette, thats what I was told.

What are these sensors? I think on my intake mani the MAP goes in the hole in the center there on the intake, also what vaccume lines go to the back of my mani?

Thanks
Josh
Old 07-12-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil pressure is on the left and the cam position sensor is to the right of it. You're right, generally knock sensor wires are coming out the back also.
Attached Thumbnails What sensors are these (Prof. Products mani questions?)-sensors.jpg  
Old 07-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Launching!

1. the knock sensors do go under the intake in the two holes in the valley cover, the connector is an odd shaped circle ill find a pic in a min.(have to log into gm dealerworld)
2. the map goes in the center hole, and on stock ls1,6 intakes their is one Vaccum port that goes for your ac, and the other one is for the brake booster, youll need some fittings, i found some at a hardware store for like 2 bucks, they look like freez plugs with nipples.. youll need a big one for the booster and one small one for the ac side
3. you can get the sensors on ebay fairly cheap!
and finally i noticed that you dont have block off's on the rear coolant crossovers, you ll need some,
Old 07-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Launching!

thats a bottom view of the pic but its like a round connector
Attached Thumbnails What sensors are these (Prof. Products mani questions?)-z.gif   What sensors are these (Prof. Products mani questions?)-zz.gif   What sensors are these (Prof. Products mani questions?)-zzz.jpg  
Old 07-12-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

MAP and knock sensors will be dealer items most likely but you will need the wiring harness for each one also. Here's a schematic of the Vacuum and Emission hoses for an LS1:
Attached Thumbnails What sensors are these (Prof. Products mani questions?)-vacuum-emission-hose-routing.gif  
Old 07-12-2008, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

You guys are the best, thanks allot!! Just took of my mani. and there is no damn knock sensors, I looked on Ebay and found these. Will they work for me?

Harness for 98-02 LS1 F-body.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...ayphotohosting

Knock sensors I would use with that harness? Or does it even matter if its for a LS1/6 Vette or F-Body etc.?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...spagenameZWD1V

Only question is about my year engine, the guy I got it from (I was in Iraq when I bought it) said it was a LS6, well he had me convinced it was a LS6 also, as I didnt know better back then and was far away. Then I got smart and looked at picture my builder sent me and the heads numbers were 241 and not 243, I noticed it wasnt a LS6 but a LS1. Now how do I tell what year engine I have? The harness is a Painless Hotrod for a LS1/6 (I think) the PCM says on it that its tuned for a LS6 with cam (had the guy tune it when I still thought I had a LS6) I bought all this stuff a year ago when I was overseas and now am forgetting what it all is and what its all for.

So recap.

How do I tell what year engine I have?
Does it matter what LS1 (either Vette or F-Body) knock sensors I use?
You guys are the best.

Also since I have you guys here, what goes here. Its a hole by the starter, with the paper towel stuffed into it. Goes into the oil pan?

Pics of PCM maybe you can tell what year it's for from the numbers?
Numbers are, from top to bottom of label.
Serv. No 12200411 DLAC
*86DLAC911008VZY7*
HDW No. 09386530

Here is a pic of the knock sensor female connector form my harness, what year does that look like?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get all my ducks in a row and get this thing done before my next damn deployment.

Thanks a ton!
Josh
Old 07-12-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ranger2339
So recap.

How do I tell what year engine I have?

Don't know how to tell the year, but look here and it will help you determine if it's an LS6 block or not:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....86&postcount=8

Does it matter what LS1 (either Vette or F-Body) knock sensors I use?

Doesn't matter as long it's the 2nd design sensor. GM part # 12589867 - Sensor. Works with LS1 and LS engines.
GM part # 12601822 - Wire Harness

Also since I have you guys here, what goes here. Its a hole by the starter, with the paper towel stuffed into it. Goes into the oil pan?

No clue

Pics of PCM maybe you can tell what year it's for from the numbers?
Numbers are, from top to bottom of label.
Serv. No 12200411 DLAC
*86DLAC911008VZY7*
HDW No. 09386530

No clue

Here is a pic of the knock sensor female connector form my harness, what year does that look like?

No clue

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get all my ducks in a row and get this thing done before my next damn deployment.

Thanks a ton!
Josh
Welcome back home Josh and thanks for your service!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Thanks!

So I might have jumped the gun a bit, I bought two of these sensors. In the add it says there the early model sensors, but says they fit all LS models pretty much? Are these good to go or no?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...263119654&rd=1

Also will this MAP work for me? I think it will, just want to confirm.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-M...spagenameZWD1V

Thanks
Josh

Last edited by ranger2339; 07-12-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

They will fit but they are the earlier style with a different connector. They came on the '98 model LS1's.

12589867 sensors, this replaced 10456603
12601822 new harness.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ramairracer
1. the knock sensors do go under the intake in the two holes in the valley cover, the connector is an odd shaped circle ill find a pic in a min.(have to log into gm dealerworld)
2. the map goes in the center hole, and on stock ls1,6 intakes their is one Vaccum port that goes for your ac, and the other one is for the brake booster, youll need some fittings, i found some at a hardware store for like 2 bucks, they look like freez plugs with nipples.. youll need a big one for the booster and one small one for the ac side
3. you can get the sensors on ebay fairly cheap!
and finally i noticed that you dont have block off's on the rear coolant crossovers, you ll need some,

Do you have to fab those up yourself, or does somebody make them?

Also will those knock sensors plug into the new harness? I have the GM#12601822 harness. I guess I will see when they get here, I hope they fit. I need to get this thing going.

Thanks guys!
Josh
Old 07-20-2008, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

On those coolant block off's, are there some in front also? Do you just make a plate yourself. or does anybody make them?

Thanks
Josh
Old 07-20-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

It would be tough to make them. Most sponsors here carry the kit, Thunder Racing and Texas Speed are 2. Most people block off the back 2 and the front 2 are connected together with a pipe and a tee goes to the neck of the radiator.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=242&catid=12
Old 07-20-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Check out this thread for the seals and plug part numbers listed individually and for a pic of what they look like installed. Did you ever figure out the knock sensor connnector issue?

Edit...looks as though the part number changed for just the plugs...it's 12563325 and not 12562788.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ferrerid=13535
Old 07-21-2008, 05:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is what you need for the coolant block off and cross over.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-L...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-21-2008, 06:19 AM
On The Tree

Awesome! You guys are the best.
I'm still waiting on my knock sensors to get here, then I will see if the work. I think I wiil be ok.
Next time I am just buying a complete engine and not just a bare block, to peice together. ha. Lesson learned the hard way...

Thanks
Josh

Quick Reply: What sensors are these (Prof. Products mani questions?)