Sponsored by:

Swapping a 5.3L/4L60e DBW Setup into my 89 iroc

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping a 5.3L/4L60e DBW Setup into my 89 iroc

Hey Everyone,

Ive got a couple buildthreads on TGO & CCFBG, but dont have one on here, so what the hell, ill post one.

Im 17 years old, ive got a 1989 Camaro IROC-Z Thats my first car. After the car was featured in speedorama @ the toronto Automotive building in feburary, i figured id spice things up a bit and spend my savings on a LSx swap.

Bought a 2004 5.3L engine off my dad. Went through more trouble then you could beleive getting parts to fit, but ive ended up with the 5.3L engine, 2000 4L60e trans, & a sh!tload of f-body engine parts

That being said, heres some pictures of progress. Car is going to be finished next week whether it likes it or not, im gettin real close!

Bought F-body Acc, LS1 intake, corvette covers etc & mocked it up into the engine bay.

Car during new rear end & 99+ Tank install. Excuse my shop, it aint clean

painted engine bay

Fabricated some custom mounts @ school & tacked them into place

My mounts:

Went a different direction with my fueling. sold the vette covers & bought some billet fuel rails

This will be fun to fit

Bought an LS6 intake, wired the car, made an intake, and a whole load of other progress, heres how the engine looks in the car now:

Old 07-13-2008, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Another angle:

Decided that manifolds didnt fit the bill, neither did $800 SW headers, so i modified a set of Gen1 headers to fit, heres the parts:

First Header complete:

Stupid clearance dent

Painted and pretty:

Im currently finishing up my pedal, and 2nd header. Will post updates as i finish those.

Sheldon
Old 07-13-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool

Nice job man, it sure looks like you've had more time to work on your project than I have, & you've made good use of your time as well! I'm waiting until I can drop my engine into the car before I start work on my header project, but hopefully that won't be too long now... BTW (from what I could tell with mine), fitting that pedal might be a bit of an annoyance for ya...

Now (with your car being so close to being done), you can look forward to actually driving it the rest of the summer!
Old 07-13-2008, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Looks like that it's going to be a blast to drive! I though about doing a 5.3 or a 6.0 in my camaro. But it seems like the LS1 will fit with less modding (if that makes any sence). What all did you reuse from the original 5.3 setup?
Old 07-13-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92camaroguy
Looks like that it's going to be a blast to drive! I though about doing a 5.3 or a 6.0 in my camaro. But it seems like the LS1 will fit with less modding (if that makes any sense). What all did you reuse from the original 5.3 setup?
All of the engines you've mentioned above will be virtually identical as far as swapping one in goes. The biggest (& ONLY real) advantage to the LS1 is if you get one from an F-body - then you wouldn't need to swap the front accessories, oil pan & (possibly) intake. That would mean less work, but one of the other engines would likely cost less, & probably would not have been beaten on as hard as an F-body would've...

I think that you could make a good argument for any of them, just look for the best deal & lowest miles you can find...
Old 07-14-2008, 07:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ive re-used the 5.3L Long block, TB & Wiring setup.

F-body Acc
F-body crank pulley
F-body Intake
F-body oil pan
F-body Engine mounts
F-body coil packs
F-body fuel rails

Think thats it. I paid $1500 for my complete engine, not realizing how much id have to change. Wasnt as good as a deal as i thought it was, but only 5k km's on it, i cant complain
Old 07-14-2008, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SheldonZ28
Ive re-used the 5.3L Long block, TB & Wiring setup.

F-body Acc
F-body crank pulley
F-body Intake
F-body oil pan
F-body Engine mounts
F-body coil packs
F-body fuel rails

Think thats it. I paid $1500 for my complete engine, not realizing how much id have to change. Wasnt as good as a deal as i thought it was, but only 5k km's on it, i cant complain
Thats why I wanted to go LS1 looks like alot to change. But you have a cool ride and it dose have low miles to boot.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Teching In

What sort of problems do you run into with the truck accessories in a 3rd gen?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by flynbyu82
What sort of problems do you run into with the truck accessories in a 3rd gen?
IIRC the oil pan sits to low and the alt,intake.... sit about a couple inches high.You might make it work with a 3'' cowl hood would make to where it would work.(I think)

Quick Reply: Swapping a 5.3L/4L60e DBW Setup into my 89 iroc