Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Question for those who have installed a subthump amp rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question for those who have installed a subthump amp rack

I have already mounted the 2 amps onto the amp rack, and have run all the wires. My question is where do I drill into the rack to mount it to the trunk. Also, I have a Optima red top battery and Im having trouble connecting the power wire to the battery. I purchased a side mount battery terminal from Rockford Fosgate, but for some reason I cant find a way to connect the main power for the car, and the 4 gauge power wire from the amps. When I did it before in my TA I didnt have any problems with it at all. Another thing, the red top also has a spot to mount on the top as well. Would it be easier to connect it there? Thanks in advance.

Is this what I need to connect the power wire to the top of the battery?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1174091579064

Last edited by Charlie Hustle; 07-21-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Yes. mount the 4 gauge to the top.

What type of Amp rack is it? did it come w/ directions?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackfly
Yes. mount the 4 gauge to the top.

What type of Amp rack is it? did it come w/ directions?
Is that the battery terminal I need from Best Buy?

Subthump amp rack. Yes it did, kinda. It says to use 2 wood screws and mount it to the trunk. Great directions huh?
Old 07-21-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charlie Hustle
Is that the battery terminal I need from Best Buy?

Subthump amp rack. Yes it did, kinda. It says to use 2 wood screws and mount it to the trunk. Great directions huh?
Where did you get the amp rack from? Have a link?
Old 07-22-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plenty of ways to mount it without drilling holes in the car. Here's a link from a few weeks ago: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ferrerid=13535

Also, there's a huge number of battery terminals out there. I bought a red top and used the side mounts for the stock battery hookups and used the top mounts for stereo connections. You can find this type of terminal at most big stereo stores or online:
Old 07-23-2008, 01:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Thats my old thread!

I've still yet to mount my amp rack correctly. It sits there but not completely flush. I've actually decided that i'm gonna use an L-Bracket from the amp rack to my sub box and plastic to hold it up. It's too risky for me to drill with all my wires and tail lights.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:09 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen amp racks mounted by using the tail light studs that stick out under the rear carpet. This was done by removing the black plastic wing nut looking things and then placing a piece of predrilled wood about 1/4"-3/8" thick on it, then replacing the nuts back on. This holds that piece in place. Then you can attach another piece of 5/8"-3/4" wood to this piece....in place it would look like an upside down L. This can give you something to screw the amp rack to without screwing into the car itself. Seemed pretty sturdy as well when doing one of these self made wood brackets on each side.
I also found this which is a similar method still utilizing the rear tail light studs.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/133032/5
Hope this helps a bit.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

i have one in my car for awhile. i had to make some little wood blocks and mount them to the car in about 4 spots. then just ran wood screws through the rack into the wood i monted behind it. you cant see the screw because the carpet hides them. worked out good for me.