Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got my Kooks headers, a little disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default got my Kooks headers, a little disappointed

hey everyone,

first off, let me state that overall i am VERY happy with my headers and am not *really* complaining, but posting more of a caution to anyone with/getting/thinking about any headers or other parts i guess...mine just happen to be Kooks...and that i am a welder by profession, so this stuff is very apparent to me...here they are:

the UPS man JUST dropped them off, about 15 minutes before i posted this. when i pulled them out of the box, i was very pleased and actually a little excited because these are the first "cool" parts i've got for my new build.

upon further inspection, i noticed the welds all looked great, a little spatter, but nothing hardly noticeable really. the quality is absolutly amazing, well worth the money (thanks Byunspeed!). the new design of the collectors is awsome and the flanges are ground flat and the welds inside the primaries are smoothed off as well...but that flange grinding, therein lies my issue with these parts.

as shown in the pics below, the headers were not de-burred before they shipped out. when i pulled them from the box, i grabbed the primary tubes. had i went for the flange with a firm grasp, i could have been cut. not lascerated, but cut pretty good for sure. check it out:

both flanges are like that all the way around. i understand stuff happens, things get passed QC, new guys make mistakes, orders fly in and you can't keep up, etc....i'm not upset at all. Kooks is VERY highly reputed all over and rightly so. i just wanted to point out my specific headers just in case they were a freak occurance and as a caution to others. any metal parts can have sharp edges/burrs, but these were (accidentaly i'm sure) left behind somewhere in the manufacturing process. i'll take care of the edges myself, 20 seconds with a flat or half-round file will do the trick and they'll be truly flawless.

i didn't contact Kooks, and probably won't outside of posting this. i don't want to sound like an angry customer, because i'm not. and i don't want any compensation or refund, or even free stickers . i'm sure this is a 1 in a million case (maybe ).
Old 07-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing that a little steel wool and a few minutes of your time can't fix. They look like damn nice headers.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Nothing that a little steel wool and a few minutes of your time can't fix. They look like damn nice headers.
yep, i'm not worried about it at all, but i think people should be aware that this stuff CAN happen and you should be careful with ANY new parts you get.

they are DEFINATELY damn nice headers.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Man thats trash.

For the money they charge for those headers there better be no flaws in the product what so ever. They are suppose to use the extra money that they charge people to stop this kind of stuff from going on. Its understandable from a cheap header company, like the place that sells stainless headers on ebay for a $175. But not for what Kook's wants for their Golden headers. There's nothing you can really do about that, and there's probaly not **** they would do about it I'm willing to bet.

All I'm saying, is if youre doing business with a high end company like them I'd be very pissed if that came to my door. Thats terrible business.

Other than the problem they are bad ***. I think quality control should have caught that.

Last edited by Jordan S.; 07-23-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Comments aside, what size tubes are they? Look like at LEAST 1-7/8... Great looking headers.

-J
Old 07-23-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had Kooks headers on my Z06 since '04, they're a great product. Intersting that the F-body setup uses slip-fit whereas the C5s use ball/socket.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

yep 1 7/8". i'm proud of 'em for sure.

like i said, i'm not worried too much about the burrs, a file will knock 'em off in 2 seconds. i agree they shouldn't have burs on them, but i think my headers were a fluke. i don't think i've heard of anyone else having any problems with these headers. i just wanted to post a caution advisory. i would NOT steer anyone away from Kooks. these are EXCELLENT parts. i've had "other" cheaper headers (like 95% of 'tech users) and these are honestly in a whole other league of quality and value. they just had burs around the flanges
Old 07-23-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

^^ GTO uses ball/socket as well. It baffles me why they DONT on the f-body as well...

EDIT: too damn slow
Old 07-23-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I've had Kooks headers on my Z06 since '04, they're a great product. Intersting that the F-body setup uses slip-fit whereas the C5s use ball/socket.
i had a set of Grottyohan 1 3/4" on my first SS. they were ball/socket style headers and i LOVED them. they were also a super high quality header and the coating was great on them. that's the only thing i'd change on my Kooks, the ball/socket collector...
Old 07-23-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
i had a set of Grottyohan 1 3/4" on my first SS. they were ball/socket style headers and i LOVED them. they were also a super high quality header and the coating was great on them. that's the only thing i'd change on my Kooks, the ball/socket collector...

grottyohan?, dam its been a while since i heard that name, are they even still around?
Old 07-23-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NemeSS
grottyohan?, dam its been a while since i heard that name, are they even still around?
nope
Old 07-24-2008, 03:34 PM
FormerVendor

Kooks are excellant headers.. I personally run them on ALL of my cars. But as with anything that is QC'd by a human, **** can happen.

Unfortunately, companies are forced to contend with people complaining over 10 dollar differences in manufacturers, wanting 1000 dollar headers for chinese knock off prices, AND the ridiculous material cost increases. I am AMAZED that the header companies in general havent jacked up their prices by 20% just due to the increase in SS alone.

I think the trade off is in QC efficiency. Manufacturers can no longer afford to spend 2 hours on ever header making every grind and weld smooth as a babies ***.

Soo if that means you need to spend 20 minutes cleaning up the flange in order to save a 100-200 dollar price hike, i'd say go for it..:chug

All in all, you'll be happy as hell with the performance gain..
Old 07-24-2008, 03:37 PM
FormerVendor

As unfortunate as it is, certain clientel is not willing to spend the additional money for a superior design.
Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Old 07-24-2008, 03:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kooks

2000_SS I am trully sorry about this. I already adressed the situation with our QC department. And I can insure you this will never happen again. I do appreciate all the kind words about the product. For the info i will not send you some free stickers. But what I will do if you pm me your mailing address and shirt size I will send you a shirt and hat for the inconvience.Thanks again

George R
Old 07-24-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

POW!!!; now that's service!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GeorgeR@kooks
2000_SS I am trully sorry about this. I already adressed the situation with our QC department. And I can insure you this will never happen again. I do appreciate all the kind words about the product. For the info i will not send you some free stickers. But what I will do if you pm me your mailing address and shirt size I will send you a shirt and hat for the inconvience.Thanks again

George R
hey man, no problem. the headers are awsome, you guys do excellent work. **** happens, believe me i know. in no way was i trying to detract from your headers, but using this as an example of why people really need to inspect parts when they get them, no matter they payed. FWIW a buddy of mine had a set of headers, not yours but another HIGHLY reputed company, that had cold welds all over it. he dropped one header and two primary tubes came loose . i've seen casting flaws in aluminum intakes, pinholes in the welds of sheetmetal intakes, cylinder heads have spring seats bust out just from installing the springs, etc.....people just need to be careful and check their stuff out when they get it. the companies in the aftermarket have a HELL of a time keeping up with our demands, things are going to get by.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

George R
Uhh, mine looked like that too..........

JK, mine were perfect in every way. Kooks rep is hihgly deserved!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

George R
props
Old 07-24-2008, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jeff@TotalPerformanceEng
As unfortunate as it is, certain clientel is not willing to spend the additional money for a superior design.
I'd venture to guess that most of the Kooks/QTP buyers would have been willing to spend a little more...

I know I would have.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

MY Edelbrocks 1-7/8th coated equal length came perfect......KOOKS should shape up---yours is not the only complaints I have read...and QTP also...shoddy for the price,......banging on frame...etc....mine fit great....

Quick Reply: got my Kooks headers, a little disappointed