LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Port the stocks or buy new????

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Port the stocks or buy new????

So I need some feedback from those who have done head work and which would be the smart way to go...should I buy new heads (if so which to go with) or should I have my stock ones ported? Not sure exactly what cam I am going with, something on the mild side because it needs to pass the sniffer test. 68k on the car. Thanks
Old 07-23-2008, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unless the deck is warped or the valve guides moved you're fine with those. Just have a machine shop check them and you're good.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

My old heads were fine and I do not regret buying these DART PRO 1's.. cheap and great quality.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Launching!

how much for the dart pro 1s??
Old 07-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Launching!

do they need any additional porting or clean-up work? i understand many aftermarket heads do. especiallly decking since often they come with huge combustion chambers that lower compression ratio way too far for us NA guys.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Launching!

just looked them up on jeg's. 58cc chambers says they don't require decking for good compression but they're only 180cc intake runners that flow 257cfm @.500. ithe AI's flow up around 275 cfm, granted that's at .600 i think. can't a chart on them. for those building a street 350/355 they'd prbably be great as-is. at less than $700 fully assembled each they are priced well. hmm...
Old 07-24-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

^ Yep! Mine required no clean-up nor decking. 58cc is fine for N/A (plus I have a 355 so it should work out quite well). I paid about $1200 shipped for both, fully assembled. They look greak. I have a thread about the install. I'm just a plugs and wires change from firing up (= Great looking heads. I would recommend them to anyone.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1badzee
^ Yep! Mine required no clean-up nor decking. 58cc is fine for N/A (plus I have a 355 so it should work out quite well). I paid about $1200 shipped for both, fully assembled. They look greak. I have a thread about the install. I'm just a plugs and wires change from firing up (= Great looking heads. I would recommend them to anyone.
not trying to start a flaming war, but just because they look good doesnt mean anything about their performance (and yes i have done some reading and know that Dart's are actually pretty nice)

it just sounds funny when you say you'd reccomend something you havent even used yet. and just for the record i am jealous and wish i had that kinda money for some new heads.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
not trying to start a flaming war, but just because they look good doesnt mean anything about their performance (and yes i have done some reading and know that Dart's are actually pretty nice)

it just sounds funny when you say you'd reccomend something you havent even used yet. and just for the record i am jealous and wish i had that kinda money for some new heads.
No, I havent used them yet but plenty have, including an employee from DART who is a member on here and he can tell you they in fact do live up to their hype.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Im a big fan of porting the stockers and adding 2.00/1.56 valves...I think the ones from Lingenfelter are some of the best out there for component selection, quality, repeatability of the work and the results...I run their heads and am on my 13th year with them...I had some extra hand portwork done to them in 2005 by Eric Bradby, but the original valve springs still remain! LPE has updated their CNC program since mine were done back in 1995 and if you opt for the hand finishing you'll have what I have...

Last I checked on their site you can send in your heads and $1395 and they'll take care of you...They flow well and my results speak for themselves. Its worth a check...

--Alan
Old 07-24-2008, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1badzee
No, I havent used them yet but plenty have, including an employee from DART who is a member on here and he can tell you they in fact do live up to their hype.
I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND THAT. BUT NOT TO

JUST SAYING EVEN IF GOD HIMSELF BLESSED THOSE HEADS, I STILL WOULDNT GO AROUND RECCOMENDING THEM LIKE YOU'VE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THEM, THATS ALL I WAS SAYING.

I MEAN ITS LIKE ME SAYING TO A GIRL, YEA YOU SHOULD USE TAMPAX CAUSE MY GIRLFRIEND LIKES THEM AND SO DOES 99% OF AMERICA.
JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND THAT. BUT NOT TO

JUST SAYING EVEN IF GOD HIMSELF BLESSED THOSE HEADS, I STILL WOULDNT GO AROUND RECCOMENDING THEM LIKE YOU'VE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THEM, THATS ALL I WAS SAYING.

I MEAN ITS LIKE ME SAYING TO A GIRL, YEA YOU SHOULD USE TAMPAX CAUSE MY GIRLFRIEND LIKES THEM AND SO DOES 99% OF AMERICA.
JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

Been asking the same thing myself. After talking to llyod Elliot, Im gonna end up using the stock heads and have them worked over real good. Stock heads will be fine for all NA350-355s and most 383s unless its an all out built 383. Almost everyone I have spoken with has told me the same thing. Now with that said you can get a set of complete aftermarket heads for the price of a good PP/valvetrain job on your stockers.
Dont know if that helped or hurt but Im using the stockers.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Stockers...From the results, I've seen from LE/AI, you'll be fine and no, you wont regret it

Just make sure to tell them all your goals, how much of the street/track, the car will see,etc.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Banned

Dollar wise it seems to make more sense to do the work on the stock ones...think I will go that route
Old 07-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Banned

If I did go with new heads what brand names out there are good qual to go with??
Old 07-24-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

dart, afr, trickflow, edelbrock (CNC version).. theres a few out there. AFR being the most expensive, followed by TFS, then DART, then edelbrock
Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Launching!

AI 200CC Dominator stock castings F-T-W!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When folks start claiming something is good go looking for RESULTS to back that up and look at the whole car/setup, if someone has a all out racecar that does not mean it is the best setup for a street car. BUT if say one guy has ported stock castings on a racecar and it goes faster than ported aftermarket castings on another racecar that should maybe get your attention.

I know everyone drools over the Darts BUT the only test I am aware of sofar has them performing the same as lightly worked iron LT1 heads, and someone else runs some Dart head all worked over in a racecar and goes slower than others do on ported stock castings. Not saying they are bad, just saying sofar the hype is not justified.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
When folks start claiming something is good go looking for RESULTS to back that up and look at the whole car/setup, if someone has a all out racecar that does not mean it is the best setup for a street car. BUT if say one guy has ported stock castings on a racecar and it goes faster than ported aftermarket castings on another racecar that should maybe get your attention.

I know everyone drools over the Darts BUT the only test I am aware of sofar has them performing the same as lightly worked iron LT1 heads, and someone else runs some Dart head all worked over in a racecar and goes slower than others do on ported stock castings. Not saying they are bad, just saying sofar the hype is not justified.
What hype? They are a good aftermarket casting. Why can't you just get over it? Sure you can make a shitload of power with ported stockers, but in the end, aftermarket castings are better for porting in many many aspects. Take that up with any porter you'd like. Stockers are damn good and can get cars into the 9's. But in the end an aftermarket one will be better. Sorry

Quick Reply: Port the stocks or buy new????