Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobalt Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cobalt Gauges

Would you choose the Cobalt (illuminates blue) or Phantom (illuminates red) for a Trans Am?

would you rather have 2 gauges or 3 gauges?

I think i am going with three gauges.

Water Temp
Wideband 02 (not sure if autometer makes a wide band)
Fuel Pressure (not sure if i need a fuel pressure as i am stock cubes... Also what should Fuel Pressure be at?)

What size gauges do i want to go with? Also where is the best place to get a gauge pod and the gauges themselves?

Whats the difference between short sweep, full sweep or mechinical sweep?

i found an automere water temp short sweep gauge for $63.99, then i foung the same water temp gauge with a full sweep for $135.99...

What is the diference?

Any suggestions or input?

Last edited by TORCHD 02 TA; 07-29-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I'd probably rather have the Phantom that illuminate red to match the rest of the back-lighting. The wideband would be really nice to have but I don't know if you'd really need the other two right now. I mean, if you were on the bottle I could see needing the fuel pressure, but seeing how you're not I might put my money elsewhere and just pick up the wideband... A good one is going to run you enough as it is. JMO
Old 07-27-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
I think I'd probably rather have the Phantom that illuminate red to match the rest of the back-lighting. The wideband would be really nice to have but I don't know if you'd really need the other two right now. I mean, if you were on the bottle I could see needing the fuel pressure, but seeing how you're not I might put my money elsewhere and just pick up the wideband... A good one is going to run you enough as it is. JMO
Well every car needs a water temp guages seeing that our is a dummy non the less
Old 07-27-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Well every car needs a water temp guages seeing that our is a dummy non the less
True, I think that the 98's are the only year that have a functional water temp gauge
Old 07-27-2008, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the phantom gauge illuminated red, it looks pretty cool at night.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I love my Cobalt gauges (fuel pressure and oil temp), but that is in a Camaro. It might look a little funny in a Trans Am with all the red lighting.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love my cobalt gauges!!! very easy to read at night i have Trans Temp , Fuel Pressure, Wide Band 02
Old 07-27-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TA1364
I have the phantom gauge illuminated red, it looks pretty cool at night.
You have a clear pic of it illuminated at night?
Old 07-27-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1slow98Z28
love my cobalt gauges!!! very easy to read at night i have Trans Temp , Fuel Pressure, Wide Band 02
Those are the ones that i want too... BTW what is Fuel Pressure supposed to be at?

Also one more thing, What size gauges do i want for a gauge pod?
Old 07-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Those are the ones that i want too... BTW what is Fuel Pressure supposed to be at?

58 psi is stock fuel pressure.

Gauge size for a pod is 2-1/16" if I'm not mistaken.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
58 psi is stock fuel pressure.

Gauge size for a pod is 2-1/16" if I'm not mistaken.
You are correct on the size i just looked on their website

But where is the best place to buy them? Also is the autometer A:F the lightshow or is it digital to show the A:F?
Old 07-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

You are correct on the size i just looked on their website

But where is the best place to buy them? Also is the autometer A:F the lightshow or is it digital to show the A:F?
If you don't have a wideband O2 sensor installed (the stock O2 sensors are not wideband, they are narrow band), the A/F ratio gauge will be a light show, even if it did have a digital number readout.

I got mine from Summit, but many site sponsors carry them as well.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

mine showed 60 psi all the time.....
Old 07-28-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
mine showed 60 psi all the time.....
Great i jsut wanted to get an idea on what stock fuel pressure is
Old 07-28-2008, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a clear pic of it illuminated at night?
I'll take one tonight.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TA1364
I'll take one tonight.
Great thanks
Old 07-28-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lot's of good info you got in here Jonas... just FYI i got the blue cobalts because I eventually plan on swapping my interior lights all over to that same color and getting rid of the red... so that's something you might want to think about as well...

I would say a wideband A:F is a must... if you ever plan on doing mods to your car that require tuning you can always keep tabs on it's A:F ratio which is very important. Also, I'm gonna be upgrading my injectors soon so that's another reason I have the fuel pressure guagues... don't want my motor running lean with these kinda HP numbers ya know... and of course i told you about the water temp guages on these cars not being that great...

is your car an A4 or M6?

there's many possibilities out there for guages... just because you don't get the 3 I have doesn't mean your getting the wrong ones... it's all what's best for your build and car...
Old 07-28-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
Lot's of good info you got in here Jonas... just FYI i got the blue cobalts because I eventually plan on swapping my interior lights all over to that same color and getting rid of the red... so that's something you might want to think about as well...

I would say a wideband A:F is a must... if you ever plan on doing mods to your car that require tuning you can always keep tabs on it's A:F ratio which is very important. Also, I'm gonna be upgrading my injectors soon so that's another reason I have the fuel pressure guagues... don't want my motor running lean with these kinda HP numbers ya know... and of course i told you about the water temp guages on these cars not being that great...

is your car an A4 or M6?

there's many possibilities out there for guages... just because you don't get the 3 I have doesn't mean your getting the wrong ones... it's all what's best for your build and car...
Hey Wes...

I like the blue cobalt gauges.... the color is awesome.. I know that we red, that is why i am waiting for TA1364 to post pics of his phantom ones to see if i like the red or blue. My buddy has a TA and he has the cobalt ones..... So i dunno.

I like the wideband 02, i am at 415RWHP, running a cam and will most likely over the winter time get 42# injectors, so again fuel pressure and wideband is on the the top for gauges.

I am an M6 car, so no need for a trans temp gauge. BTW why is it that M6 cars do not need trans temp gauges??? I never understood that.

And yes i NEED a water temp gauge as 99+ models are only resisitors. The real water temp gauges were like 97 and 97 models

Last edited by TORCHD 02 TA; 07-28-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:49 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would vote for a fuel pressure gauge before a coolant temp gauge. Here's my reasoning. Coolant temp isn't going to change dramatically with a mechanical water pump, but with an electric fuel pump, a drop in voltage could drop your fuel pressure dramatically, which will then play havic with your A:F ratio.

So if you plan on doing any tuning, having a wideband is critical, but I'm finding that a fuel pressure sensor is just as critical. Because then you can get into a situation where you're running lean because of a drop in fuel pressure, but you make adjustments in your programming, which would then change with a fuel pressure change. So maybe a gauge isn't necessary, but I'd want to at least have a relay that you can monitor while programming. It's more of a diagnostic tool than anything.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say red to match your speedo, i matched mine with my blue interior
i got a fuel pressure gauge, water temp, and a gauge that measures your 0-60, 60-0, 1/4 mile, g's, and hp.. i would say definitely get the fuel pressure, water temp, and OF COURSE the wide band and yes autometer makes a wideband gauge just go to summitracing