LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rocker Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rocker Question

Hey Guys I put a cam in the car a month ago and Im having some rocker problems.

I have CC Pro Mag 1.6 rockers and ARP studs.

I followed comp's and shobox's recommendations for setting valve lash or rocker lash whatever its called, but Every couple hundred miles or after Im really hard on the car Im having rocker nuts backing off.

It just happened for the 3rd time and it starting to agravate me.

Here is the question. When a lifter is on the base circle, should there be any slack in the rocker. 15 of the rockers have a tad bit of slack in them when they are on the base circle and you can spin the pushrod a lil (the other one is the one that cam loose a little.

Is the little bit of slack normal? Can I check it with a feeler gauge or something? And any ideas why the rocker nuts are backing of, and yes I am tightening the crap out of the poly locks so I dont think its them.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem when I did my H/C setup and I have 1.6 pro mags NSA. If I got on the car hard it would start to clatter, pulled the valve cover off and sure enough a couple of the rockers were loose. The lock nuts and polys were tight. Like you got tired of constantly readjusting(tried both with the motor running and not). The only thing I came up with is the lifters were bleeding down(they were standard gm lifters that I put in new last year). So I ordered a set of LS7 lifters, put them in and so far it has been a few weeks, and a few hundred miles and seem to be in the clear. I dunno if it will help but that is what I had to do. Good Luck>
Old 07-27-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See im running LS7 lifters.

Ive decided to get some ARP polylocks since they are already heat treated and they actually have a little bind on the studs and Ive been told they dont back off.

Another trick Ive been told helps, is setting the setting the nut and lock then turning the nut like an 1/8th a turn more.