PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

tuned..but still stalls

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default tuned..but still stalls

hey guys, my 02 Z28 is cammed and tuned. but for some odd reason it dies out every once in awhile man. like when im coasting through a parking lot and letting my foot off the gas and coast it surged and died out. also when i was parking my car up the driveway, it died out..

but the car drives fine, no bucking or surging starts up and everything! just dies out.

im wondering if i should just drill a bigger hole in the throttle body? will that take care of it?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:26 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your tuner needs to do the RAF, to get the base air flow it needs.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Proper base airflow is important, but might be only part of it. Since it stalls when you are off the throttle, coasting to a stop, the Throttle Cracker airflow is in effect and therefore not so much dependant on base airflow. It sounds like the throttle cracker tables need tuning. Does it idle fine from a cold start to fully warm, with no driving, just 100% idling? If so, then you should do the RAFIG process to get your desired airflow, then tune the Throttle Cracker tables. There are some good write ups out there on how to get it done if you need help.

Never NEVER drill throttle bodies. That is a terrible solution for proper tuning.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goldfinger911
Proper base airflow is important, but might be only part of it. Since it stalls when you are off the throttle, coasting to a stop, the Throttle Cracker airflow is in effect and therefore not so much dependant on base airflow. It sounds like the throttle cracker tables need tuning. Does it idle fine from a cold start to fully warm, with no driving, just 100% idling? If so, then you should do the RAFIG process to get your desired airflow, then tune the Throttle Cracker tables. There are some good write ups out there on how to get it done if you need help.

Never NEVER drill throttle bodies. That is a terrible solution for proper tuning.

yeah it starts up fine, drives fine and everything. its just that it dies out every once in awhile. i heard i should mess with the TB screw and that should help it out. i know it could use more tuning. but it drives fine and everything though.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you change the TB screw position, you then have to reset your TPS sensor. After that, you should monitor what your IAC step count at a warmed up idle. They should be between 40-60 steps typically for a cammed car. The downside is you need to have some way of doing this. EFILive or HPTuners interface, etc. Personally, I use EFILive. I dont know about any of the handheld's if they can monitor those things or not.

Before you start tweaking, you really should pinpint exactly when/how it dies. At what temp, while you are driving, coasting, decelerating, what RPM, etc. The reason I say this is there are alot of airflow related tables in the PCM that all come into play at different times. If you start messing with stuff without knowing this.. you could make things worse.

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
yeah it starts up fine, drives fine and everything. its just that it dies out every once in awhile. i heard i should mess with the TB screw and that should help it out. i know it could use more tuning. but it drives fine and everything though.