Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idea for exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Idea for exhaust

I have been giving alot of thought about an exhaust setup, and now I think I know what I want to do. I'm thinking of getting the TSP 1 7/8 long tubes (for when I spray, head/cam the car later down thr road), texas rumbler true duals, and having a local fab shop finish the duels out the back of the car. I am also thinking of running dual e-cutouts after the x pipe. Is there enough room with the x-pipe and going to the bullets to install the cutouts? Is there also a place that sells 3" or 3 1/2" single exhaust tips, slant cut? Ideas and opinions are appriciated. Thanks
Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

If you go to the Dynomax or Magnaflow sites, they have a ton of tips to choose from.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cutouts with a TD system?

wont be much of an increase would it?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
cutouts with a TD system?

wont be much of an increase would it?
If the cutouts are installed after the headers it would be.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its your money, do what you want. Food for thought.

Someone I know had cutouts installed before the x on his TSP Rumbler duals and lost 3hp and 4lb/ft with them open vs. closed. His mods were :

01 WS6
AFR 205
Custom 245/249 cam
Pulley
Longtubes
TSP Duals with dual cutouts
Custom tune
Old 07-30-2008, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

Cutouts would be right after the x, right before the mufflers. I would have the fab shop fix it up and get it how I have envisioned. But like I said, I was just looking for opinions.

EDIT::::: I don't know what I was thinking when I was at work when I first made this.......I don't want an x pipe. I meant custom h pipe set up. I was looking at the rumblers and got confused. H pipe set up if funds allow it. Thanks for added input.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

i could be totally wrong but ive alway heard that on the stock 346 bottom end, that 1 7/8 headers were too much, and that 1 3/4 were the better choice, but like i said i could be way off! anybody know?
Originally Posted by AznMuscle
I have been giving alot of thought about an exhaust setup, and now I think I know what I want to do. I'm thinking of getting the TSP 1 7/8 long tubes (for when I spray, head/cam the car later down thr road), texas rumbler true duals, and having a local fab shop finish the duels out the back of the car. I am also thinking of running dual e-cutouts after the x pipe. Is there enough room with the x-pipe and going to the bullets to install the cutouts? Is there also a place that sells 3" or 3 1/2" single exhaust tips, slant cut? Ideas and opinions are appriciated. Thanks
Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
Cutouts would be right after the x, right before the mufflers. I would have the fab shop fix it up and get it how I have envisioned. But like I said, I was just looking for opinions.

EDIT::::: I don't know what I was thinking when I was at work when I first made this.......I don't want an x pipe. I meant custom h pipe set up. I was looking at the rumblers and got confused. H pipe set up if funds allow it. Thanks for added input.
Now that you're talking H-pipe, you're making good sense, i'd love to hear this as not many F-car guys run H-pipes.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:25 AM
11 Second Club

Yea, H pipes sound mad sexy. That's why I want it, even if dynos say X's are worth more power. But yea....H pipe, dual cut-outs, then to bullets or stingers or something.

And regarding primary size....yea, 1 3/4 is better, but once running H/C/I, or spray, or a combination of the both, the 1 7/8 help our engines breath a tad better. Plus if I want to do a 408 later on, I got the headers already, and wont have to spend another 5-900 dollars.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

with those fat *** tubes your planning on putting on i would leave the cutouts alone....unless you wnat them just for noisy fun.....i wouldnt do it...but thats just my 2 cents. i have 1 3/4 with 3 inch all the way out
Old 07-31-2008, 01:01 AM
11 Second Club

Yea, cutout would probably just be for noise and to sound mean as hell with the cam lope. I would test it on the dyno to see how it would really effect it.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:25 AM
TECH Addict

1 7/8 headers and bullets and you want it to be louder? I had bullets dumped with my old setup with an x pipe and it was too loud for my taste. I also had to drive my car about 25 miles with open headers and it sounded horrible IMO but it did make a car pull right off the road when I came up behind him at WOT

Do what you want though, but I'm ready for something a little tamer, hopefully the magnaflow setup I'm switching to will sound and be a little quieter
Old 07-31-2008, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
1 7/8 headers and bullets and you want it to be louder? I had bullets dumped with my old setup with an x pipe and it was too loud for my taste. I also had to drive my car about 25 miles with open headers and it sounded horrible IMO but it did make a car pull right off the road when I came up behind him at WOT

Do what you want though, but I'm ready for something a little tamer, hopefully the magnaflow setup I'm switching to will sound and be a little quieter
Well when I do this set up, it wont be a daily driver like it is now. Once I sell my ranger, I'm buying me a lil 95 shitvic to drive around, now that I work alot further away from home.