LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Horrible Smell When Engine Braking..

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible Smell When Engine Braking..

My car recently just got rear ended. It may be totaled, actually. I am awaiting the police report to get the guys insurance information because it was a hit and run while my car was parked and I was asleep, but luckily he was caught shortly after.

Anywho, I'm still able to drive it, and have to since it's my only vehicle, and I have made an observation since the accident. It's a 6 speed, and whenever I engine brake, a horrible smell fills the car. It stings my nose to breathe it, so I have been avoiding engine braking completely. It doesn't smell at all when cruising or using the brake pedal with the clutch disengaged. I have asked a few people, but they aren't sure, so I figured I would see if any of you had any idea

It almost smells like if you would burn Gojo (the original formula), that's what it would smell like..
Old 08-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Teching In

My first thought would be the trunk seal is pushed out of place and allowing exhaust gas to enter the cabin.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Good call. My trunk seal is definitely pretty jacked up.

Now I know
Old 08-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

well is it an sulfur smell, like rotten eggs?? if so I would say its your cats. Now an accident wouldnt cause them to smell but if your pipes got bent or a seal is broken somewhere , when you slowing down and breaking then that air may not be pushed out as hard as when ur cruising. When you are in idle and stnad behind the car, does it smell too??
Old 08-02-2008, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

I don't have any cats, and I have had it on a lift to check for exhaust leaks, but there aren't any. And it is a rotten egg type of smell. During idle I don't smell anything.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:46 AM
TECH Veteran

maybe the battery? i know an overcharging battery will smell like rotten egg

Quick Reply: Horrible Smell When Engine Braking..