Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Removal / Install Eaton Posi

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal / Install Eaton Posi

Can i remove it, and put it back without screwing up the gear pattern? or anything else for that matter...? I think (hope) i have bad carrier bearings, (grinding when turning either direction) but need to remove to inspect,,
thanx all
Old 08-04-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you put the shims back exactly the way they came out
Old 08-07-2008, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by alamantia
if you put the shims back exactly the way they came out
I agree! just check backlash before and after.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

thanx all... i got it out, and one carrier bearing cap looks like its been rubbing on one side,,,havnt taken the bearing off yet, but hopfully its screwed up, and i will finally get my grinding when turning problem fixed. Cars been in the air all summer.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Eaton FTMFL
Old 08-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

I hope you have better luck with the eaton then i did... one set of tires, no track use, 15K miles and the clutches were shot...
Old 08-12-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

any one got a nice pic of where the dial indicator is set inside the housing, next to the ring gear,,,i know i put my dial indicator's magnetic base on the housing area (where the cover bolts up to the rear), but where do i put the long rod coming off the dial indicator when trying to measure backlash? im putting it all back as it was, but want to be sure.....
Old 08-12-2008, 01:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
any one got a nice pic of where the dial indicator is set inside the housing, next to the ring gear,,,i know i put my dial indicator's magnetic base on the housing area (where the cover bolts up to the rear), but where do i put the long rod coming off the dial indicator when trying to measure backlash? im putting it all back as it was, but want to be sure.....
Place the needle of the indicator on the drive side of the ring gear.

Here is a rough pic...

Old 08-12-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

ive been searching on here for hours,,,,,,no joke,,,,for exactlly that pic. No difference when the diff is in the carrier right? ....and the needle will contact the ring gear tooth, right? Once i hve it place, i simply put the car in gear, and move the ring gear to measure the back lash,,,,right?

thanx a MILLION for the pic.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

saving this
Old 08-12-2008, 02:09 PM
FormerVendor

ive been searching on here for hours,,,,,,no joke,,,,for exactlly that pic. No difference when the diff is in the carrier right? ....and the needle will contact the ring gear tooth, right? Once i hve it place, i simply put the car in gear, and move the ring gear to measure the back lash,,,,right?

thanx a MILLION for the pic.
No difference in checking the backlase whether it is a 3rd member or the diff is in the car. Needle touches the drive side of the ring gear as shown in the picture. You should be checking this play with the driveshaft disconnected, while rocking the ring gear back and forth, but it will not not make a difference I guess if you are only checking back lash.

Jeff
Old 08-12-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

one more question....does the needle that is placed on the drive side move in and out of the dial indicator? (dont have one yet),,so that it ALWAYS has contact with the ring gear, even as i move it to check the back lash...in otherwords,,the needle never leaves the ring gear as i move it back and forth,,

OR

does the needle stay steady and loose contact with the ring gear as i move it?

if that dosnt make sense,,let me know...
Old 08-12-2008, 02:15 PM
FormerVendor

one more question....does the needle that is placed on the drive side move in and out of the dial indicator? (dont have one yet),,so that it ALWAYS has contact with the ring gear, even as i move it to check the back lash...in otherwords,,the needle never leaves the ring gear as i move it back and forth,,

OR

does the needle stay steady and loose contact with the ring gear as i move it?

if that dosnt make sense,,let me know...
Needle stays in contact with the ring gear while moving back and forth which gives you the reading on the dial gauge that tells you what your backlash is or what it measures.

Jeff
Old 08-12-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

thanx a ton.....

i removed my posi to inspect the carrier bearings (found some rubbing on the inside of one race),(i have grinding noises when turning) and am cutting off the bearings tonight or tomorrow. I will be installing the same shims, just as they were when i pulled it out, but want to check the BL anyways for good measure.

Last edited by Bad Blue WS6; 08-12-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:20 PM
FormerVendor

thanx a ton.....

i removed my posi to inspect teh carrier bearings (found some rubbing on the inside of one race), and am cutting off the bearings tonight or tomorrow. I will be installing the same shims, just as they were when i pulled it out, but want to check the BL anyways for good measure.
No problem, letme know if you have any other questions. Glad to help.

Jeff
Old 08-18-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

yep, another question,,,got my new bearings on, and im ready to put the diff back int he carrier,,,do i

1. put the shims in on both sides (7 of em) and then put the diff in? Pond with a rubber mallet or something?

OR

2. put one side of shims in, then the diff, then the last set of shims,,,and if so,,how the hell do i get em in there? i know i should probably use a brass drift or something of the nature, but when i try this way, the bearing cap kinds goes crooked, and the shims are getting wedged enough that they are getting mared up as i try to get them in???
Old 08-18-2008, 12:24 PM
FormerVendor

we install the RH side shims when putting the carrier in and then using a screw driver hold the case and install the LH side shims using a rubber mallet to tap in.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

What posi is one step stronger than Eaton?
Old 08-18-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

man,,, ive seen that somehwere on here,,,i probably have it in my library...
Old 08-19-2008, 05:25 AM
TECH Addict

ok all,,,new problem. When i looked down my dr side axel tube towards teh posi, i noticed that it sat crooked,,meaning hte posi itself looked like it was sitting to far towards the front. th hole in the posi for the axel to go into was off centered fromtthe axel tube. This made me think that the carrier bearings were ****,,,so i go tthe posi out, replaced the bearings,,,put it back in,,,,,,,same results. you can see on the axel splines where its rubbing against the off centered part down there as well,,,did i just get ripped off when i bought this thing? Am i correct in thinking that the carrier bearings would sit right into the pocket flush and even? could it be that i have the posi in crooked? it doesnt look crooked, and the bearing caps look like they are on straight....im lost, fed up, and really starting to feel had.

Last edited by Bad Blue WS6; 08-19-2008 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Removal / Install Eaton Posi