Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Sunoco is on got a question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Sunoco is on got a question

I just got my sunoco bolted on using factory struts they seem to strong for it where can I get lighter ones. Also when I release my hood latch the hood unlatches pretty hard and fast is this because of the strong struts?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

this is a commom problem. remedy it ASAP or you will get cracks and stress marks in your paint. there are a few writeups on de charging one of the struts and using a pin to hold it up.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bww3588
this is a commom problem. remedy it ASAP or you will get cracks and stress marks in your paint. there are a few writeups on de charging one of the struts and using a pin to hold it up.
Isn't that the same as taking one off whats the difference?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:48 PM
12 Second Club

asthetics.....and in some cases, one strut cant hold the hood up by itself.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

I really want lighter hood struts do you know where to get them?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any decent auto shop can get you what you need. they should be able to look in a catalog of the lift support company they use, and get the specs on your lift supports for example lbs of pressure and length closed and open, as well as the types of ends on it, then there are typically size listings in the catalogs where you can match something up with those spcs, in this case finding the same size support but with less lb. presure than stock.. i work for an old school mom and pop parts house and we have to do this all of the time for customers wanting to do the same thing
Old 08-04-2008, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Hmm... I know the first batch or two of Sunoco hoods had issues. VFN corrected that issue. I have been running stock struts on my VFN for 3 years now no issues. And with adjustments my VFN hood just barley pops up. It doesn fly open fast.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChevyZ28Thunder
Hmm... I know the first batch or two of Sunoco hoods had issues. VFN corrected that issue. I have been running stock struts on my VFN for 3 years now no issues. And with adjustments my VFN hood just barley pops up. It doesn fly open fast.

what adjustments?
Old 08-04-2008, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

what adjustments?
Hood alignment... When I first put mine on it was forward and to the passenger side. When it was like that the hood would just fly open. I got the hood centered first. Then I moved the hood back while doing this I adjusted the lock I also completely removed the latch to open the hood (lock still in place). Now when I open the hood without a latch in place it just barley pops open. I then just have to lift the hood (no latch). I would have put the latch back on but since it just barley pops open what is the point. If it flew open I would probably put the latch back on to stop that from happening.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:50 PM
12 Second Club

hmm, ill have to look into that... thanks for the insight.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

hmm, ill have to look into that... thanks for the insight.
Understand this is with factory struts... The only time my struts put pressure on the hood is while lifting which I have to do. The hood at not time flys away from me. In the just poped open position and full open position the struts are not putting any pressure on my hood. And the only way to get it to the full open position is for me to lift it. Which is a very light lift to the touch. The only time I really feel pressure is when closing the hood. Trust me without a latch if my hood was going to fly open it has no reason to stop.

Last edited by ChevyZ28Thunder; 08-04-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This information is INCORRECT. Only the first few hoods made a few years ago had this issue. VFN has corrected the situation and has recently even re-inforced the area for more structure.

Originally Posted by ChevyZ28Thunder
This is correct!

If your scared about the struts you can always take one off, but I and the entire Sunoco hood community can tell you, your stock struts are perfectly safe. If this hood was just recently purchased, you have nothing to fear. The movement you are experiencing is totally normal.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
This information is INCORRECT. Only the first few hoods made a few years ago had this issue. VFN has corrected the situation and has recently even re-inforced the area for more structure.

This is correct!

If your scared about the struts you can always take one off, but I and the entire Sunoco hood community can tell you, your stock struts are perfectly safe. If this hood was just recently purchased, you have nothing to fear. The movement you are experiencing is totally normal.
i guess i got some strong *** factory struts then, cause i've already got small bumps in the hood and its been on for 2 months now. but then again, VFN fixed it so it cant possibly be happening. must be my eyes.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:43 PM
11 Second Club

Nice 1998 Z28 under construction there.. Change it to Artic White..... Sounds like your hood is bound up some where. If it is not CALL VFN they will fix the issue. VFN has great customer service. I think that is why alot of us stand behind VFN. Everything they produce may not be perfect. But they always take care of you the customer.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work/959101-sunoco-hood-guys-chime-please.html
Old 08-04-2008, 11:50 PM
12 Second Club

we had everything straight and all the gaps lined up, but it had to come apart for paint in the engine compartment. it went back together for now untill time for paint. its just together now. not lined up or anything. the latch is brand new, since the one i got off the donor car was rusted so bad it wouldnt release. i feel like i have to put an unneccessary amount of force on the hood to get it to shut. just dont sit right with me. im going with some lighter struts or remove one of them.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

we had everything straight and all the gaps lined up, but it had to come apart for paint in the engine compartment. it went back together for now untill time for paint. its just together now. not lined up or anything. the latch is brand new, since the one i got off the donor car was rusted so bad it wouldnt release. i feel like i have to put an unneccessary amount of force on the hood to get it to shut. just dont sit right with me. im going with some lighter struts or remove one of them.
I only have to put a little force on the hood for it to lock. Again I am not running a latch. How much adjustment have you done on the lock?
Old 08-04-2008, 11:58 PM
12 Second Club

quite a bit, its up to the point where it catches and latches, but doesnt feel like im shoving the hood through the bottom of the car. just enough to latch and not hit real hard. all that is really giving me problems is overcoming the struts to get it going down. once its about half way down, everything is gravy.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:02 AM
11 Second Club

quite a bit, its up to the point where it catches and latches, but doesnt feel like im shoving the hood through the bottom of the car. just enough to latch and not hit real hard. all that is really giving me problems is overcoming the struts to get it going down. once its about half way down, everything is gravy.

Okay I had to move my bump stops under the hood down. I also moved my latch down with the bump stop move. When I did this the hood just popped up and did not fly open. Good Luck....
Old 08-05-2008, 12:06 AM
12 Second Club

mine doesnt fly open like the OP stated, but when it pops, it pops hard. as soon as i pull the safety catch, with a little persuasion in that direction, the hood pretty much comes up on its own.

Quick Reply: Sunoco is on got a question