LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

can the theft deterrant module be physicaly bypassed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can the theft deterrant module be physicaly bypassed?

The only reason i ask this is because every once and a while after it rains my car wont start it will start to turn over then the security light comes on. This only happens when it rains and it seems like its shorting out and causing my car not to start.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your talking about the key thing (VATS)? If so, I believe you can with a little electronic know-how... nothing to major. You'll need the right resistor and need to know where to put it :

picture from SHBOX.com

I've never tried this or know anyone that has either. I know there's an option in LT1edit to disable VATS as well but, dont know if that is effective.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

The TDM does multiple things after when the key is turned on, it reads the pellet resistance in the key 1- it picks the Theft Deterrent Relay that allows the starter solenoid to pick. 2- It sends a 50HZ signal to the PCM that allows the fuel injectors to pick. 3 - It locks out subsequent tries for a few minuets if a wrong pellet is detected. 4 - It controls the security lite indicator sequences that indicate failures. The procedure to bypass the ignition key pellet only forces a correct pellet signal from the ign key key to the TDM it does not bypass it. There are modules out on e-bay that will replace the TDM. You can also program the VATS out of the PCM eliminating the fuel injector block, but you still need to worry about the TRD and the starter solenoid pick.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can with a resistor under the column or building a simple circuit that puts out between 30-50 hz square wave i think...look in the conversions area
Old 08-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Teching In

There's a seller on eBay that makes a complete unit to do just what you're asking:

http://myworld.ebay.com/bakerelectronic

However, I believe you still have to find a way past the starter on your own though. Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Launching!

thanks ill try lookin around on ebay
Old 08-08-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My security light went away after measuring my key pellet with a DMM, and putting a corresponding ohm resistor inline with the vats wire like shoebox's guide.

Solved the problem and has worked for years.

::edit::
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#pass_key
Old 08-08-2008, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 303 Likes on 229 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by McCauleyWB
However, I believe you still have to find a way past the starter on your own though. Hope this helps.
Hard-wire it from the wire on the Ignition switch to the Starter wire right before it goes into the Engine Harness. I had to do that with mine cause the LT1 Start Circuit didn't work. It had Fuel, Spark, turned over, just not fast enough. Once I wired it my way, it fired right up.
It does bypass the Neutral Safety Switch that way.. just letting you know.

Quick Reply: can the theft deterrant module be physicaly bypassed?