Sponsored by:

idle and fans tables, what is the best

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle and fans tables, what is the best

i have a 2001 trans am WS6 with a compcam 212/218 114,LT,no cats, 160 termostat

The idle i thint is to low, when i check it with the scanner it is at 550 when i am in drive or reverse with AC on.
I have notice that the electric charge in the car is below 13.
Should i increase the idle more, and how much???
Can someone send me a table with what i have to chage, if i have to??
Because i was looking at the table and numbers change depending on coolant temp, gear, ac, p/n. In the table the idle at 154-241 F in gear with AC on or off is set at 550rpm.

ANd also i notice that the guy that tune the car set the fans like this:

FAN 1 ON TEMP 189 F
FAN 1 OFF TEMP 184 F
FAN 1 ENABLE SPEED 30mph
FAN 1 DISABLE SPEED 35mph
FAN 2 ON TEMP 189 F
FAN 2 OFF TEMP 184 F

-IGNITION OFF
DISABLE TEMP 189 F
RUN TIME 150 sec

Is that settings good, because when i turn off the car, the fan keeps going. Do that have some special reason or can i put 0secs and dont have any problems??? Also i have read diferent setting of TEMP settings, what you recomend?????
Attached Files
File Type: txt
idle table.txt (735 Bytes, 105 views)

Last edited by juanjuan07; 08-10-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's fine, but not how I set mine. I set 1st fan to come on alone. If the car continues to warm 10 degrees, the second one comes on. The ignition off is up to you, but as long as you're not killing batteries I'd leave it alone.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

alot of people turn both fans on at the same time, no problem there, i prefer it myself also. looks like its set up for a 180 stat. the reason for the fans coming on after you shut off is just to help with heat soak that happens when you shut it off. not a bad thing but if you want to make it less sensitive then set the temp up some. oh and for the first and main question the idle is pretty low. tho thats a baby cam i would set it up about a 100-150 rpms or so. just add to the entire table. the airflow tables should be ok with that small of a cam. let us know if you have any issues after changes
Old 08-11-2008, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

okay, so i would set the idle 100 or 150rpm more.
And i wanted to know that if i increas ethe idles rpm, when i shift from N/P to drive, will it hurt the transmission (A4),would the pressure or force increase and i will fill like a kick in the ***??? Or will it shift as smooth as it is???
Old 08-11-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

no problems with trans at all. just add 100 to the entire table then if that dont seem to be quite enough add 25 or so at a time in need areas till you get where you want it. give it time to settle in and adjust. no biggy
Old 08-20-2008, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Just to know, why in the tables there is a difference of 100rpms between the N/P and Drive/reverse. Does that have some reson, because when i am going to change from Reverse to Drive and it pass by Neutral, the rpms jump 100-200rpms and then when i put it in gear it goes down again. My question is because if i change from R to D slow(like normal) it will kick the trans a bit. So i was thinking that if i put the same RPMS in Neutral,parcking,drive or riverse, the RPMS wont go up when i change from D to R and it will change even smoother. Because if i change FAST from R to D, the rpms dont have time to go up and i dont even feel when it chages, it feels better.
Does that makes sense, or no matter what, when i change slow from R to D i will still feel like a kick??
Really it is very smooth, but i think it feels a bit harder that what it is suppose to.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Banned

Its because the engine is engaged with the trans. D/R (MOVING PARTS). In neutral it is not engaged at all, therefor the engine free spinning until you engage it gear causing the trans and tranny to be engaged. Moving parts slow things down, more work. LEAVE IT ALONE! Move on...there is WAY more to tuning than messing with this stuff...trust me! You want to compliment (raise by 100rpm or so from stock) the entire idle side (first few cells) of the table thats it.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

Okay i will just raise the entire rpm. And thanks for the advise because i know that when i go to "picky" i usually mess up all, thatwas ther eason i asked before doing any dumb thing.