Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Anyone owned a viper and a c6z?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone owned a viper and a c6z?

I have a new job lined up and with my newfound wealth i am thinking of selling my car and either getting around an 06 or 07 c6z, or an 03-05 viper.
I want to know if anyone has experience with both, or either cars. The thing is i dont want to end up with 50k in my car and its only worth 20k, and i also prefer the look of the c6z better, but i dont know the modability of the c6z's. I am tired of going all motor, and it never seems to be fast enough anyways. The problem is it looks like the c6z's dont handle boost well, and the na number dont impress me that much. (maybe i just need a bike)
Where you can throw a paxton on a viper and make almost 700rwhp on the stock engine and not have to worry about blowing it up. My problem is the viper to me sounds like ***, and although the c6z catches flack for the interior, the viper looks like **** on the inside. It also appears to be small, but i dont know.
I am 6'3 260lbs and dont want to be cramped up. I Also want to know which one has a beefier drivetrain for drag racing. I am really just looking for info on both cars all around. Kind of pro's and cons, and i dont want to push a 14k ls7 anywhere near it's breaking point, or swap engines. How do both cars perform with bolt on type mods?(safe boost level fi included)
Old 08-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven both...

The Viper was instant celebrity status.... stares.. that alone made me LOVE it.

The C6Zo6 was/IS a ride that felt quicker while tossing it around. The Viper seemed like it would break traction more easily and wreck (someone else's)
prized car.

Check out Nineball.... he has a new Viper and has had a cammed/magnacharged C6... He polled everyone a few weeks back about which one is the $#!+ and results were all over the board...

In the end.... the Zo6 was like a "belly button, everyone has one," where the Viper is much more rare...

Which goes back to my 2nd sentence... instant celebrity when you roll in.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Nwmembr19
I have a new job lined up and with my newfound wealth i am thinking of selling my car and either getting around an 06 or 07 c6z, or an 03-05 viper.
I want to know if anyone has experience with both, or either cars. The thing is i dont want to end up with 50k in my car and its only worth 20k, and i also prefer the look of the c6z better, but i dont know the modability of the c6z's. I am tired of going all motor, and it never seems to be fast enough anyways. The problem is it looks like the c6z's dont handle boost well, and the na number dont impress me that much. (maybe i just need a bike)
Where you can throw a paxton on a viper and make almost 700rwhp on the stock engine and not have to worry about blowing it up. My problem is the viper to me sounds like ***, and although the c6z catches flack for the interior, the viper looks like **** on the inside. It also appears to be small, but i dont know.
I am 6'3 260lbs and dont want to be cramped up. I Also want to know which one has a beefier drivetrain for drag racing. I am really just looking for info on both cars all around. Kind of pro's and cons, and i dont want to push a 14k ls7 anywhere near it's breaking point, or swap engines. How do both cars perform with bolt on type mods?(safe boost level fi included)
Tuning for the Vipers is all but non-existent, other than the AEM system, everything else is pretty much piggy-back controllers or extra injectors, stuff the 5.0 Fox body guys grew out of years ago...
The LS7 is mod-able beyond the Viper from what I see, with tons of Vendors offering cams, ported heads, aftermarket heads, intakes, and built motors all day. I'd also imagine that Viper tax is even worse that Corvette tax, but that may not be of concern to you.

Considering a few guys have hustled their stock C6Zs to high 10s, low 10s should not be tough with any form of FI on a LS7.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
Tuning for the Vipers is all but non-existent, other than the AEM system, everything else is pretty much piggy-back controllers or extra injectors, stuff the 5.0 Fox body guys grew out of years ago...
The LS7 is mod-able beyond the Viper from what I see, with tons of Vendors offering cams, ported heads, aftermarket heads, intakes, and built motors all day. I'd also imagine that Viper tax is even worse that Corvette tax, but that may not be of concern to you.

Considering a few guys have hustled their stock C6Zs to high 10s, low 10s should not be tough with any form of FI on a LS7.
Well i'm not going to spend a fortune on either car just probably buy with whatever mods i can get on either car at first. There seems to be and abundance of both for sale for mid 50's with mods already done. I'm sure neither car will stay stock for long, but i have another car that i can turn into a race car. I'm just looking to do simple mods that arent going to push the limits of the engines or severely decrease the longevity of the engines either.

I have also thought about getting a regular c6 and modding it but i think the c6z is worth the extra money over the regular car, and it has more value.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

C6Z, with proper wheels, will turn heads all day long, bone stock. The Z is a more useable, everyday supercar. The viper,..is fun,..but,..sorry to say, a little less people friendly. People see that car, and do stupid ****, like keying it, or trashing it. Looks great, sure is fun but, i'd take a Z06 anyday over a viper.

But,..you should really just get the car you want, dodge of chevy. (chevy is easier to mod)
Old 08-12-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

I had an 06 Z06 and loved it. Drove great and had alot of power. I have sat in a viper and Im 5'10" and I felt tight in it.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:20 AM
TECH Regular

I agree, the Vipers do feel very snug and im not that big either. I do like the fact that you dont see many Vipers around, but a C6Z is badass. I say drive both and go from there.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

I was thinking about saving for a viper until I went to wreckedexotics.com
There is too many people that have lost control of them...Or let there friends take it out just so they could wreck it for them. I really beleive there is a VIPER CURSE!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

I've driven and shopped them both quite a bit. Here's a quick list from my perspective - I'll just a "pro" list (since the cons tend to just be the pros of the other car):

Viper [SRT]
-------------------------------------------------------------
- Exclusive (very low production [soon to be out of production])
- Amazing paint (hand finished)
- Solid mechanicals
- Boost friendly (low 9.6:1 C/R - the new 2008's are higher)
- Terrific seats
- Available in a roadster

C6 Z06
-------------------------------------------------------------
- Cheaper N/A upgrades ($5500 installed 550RWHP packages)
- Lighter
- Many more convenience items for DD
- Amazing sounding, classic Chevy 427
- Quicker on track
- Electronic safety "nets" (sometimes helpful)

I think the looks are sort of a wash - I think factoring out the exclusivity a C6Z with custom wheels is as much of a head turner as a Viper. To be honest, it depends on the area and the people. I had folks climbing over Vipers to get a look at my Supra.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
C6Z, with proper wheels, will turn heads all day long, bone stock.
Exactly. Tell me if you're into people doing a double take that this wouldn't make some people take notice:

Old 08-13-2008, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nwmembr19
Well i'm not going to spend a fortune on either car just probably buy with whatever mods i can get on either car at first. There seems to be and abundance of both for sale for mid 50's with mods already done. I'm sure neither car will stay stock for long, but i have another car that i can turn into a race car. I'm just looking to do simple mods that arent going to push the limits of the engines or severely decrease the longevity of the engines either.

I have also thought about getting a regular c6 and modding it but i think the c6z is worth the extra money over the regular car, and it has more value.
simple mods won't get the C6Z to 700 rwhp. you're lookin at FI, and I wouldn't trust the LS7 holding up to that kind of power unless you wanna swap internals. That being said, nothing screams sexy like a FI Z06. My Z is in the shop gettin TT now
Old 08-13-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've been in my cousin's '01 Coupe Viper and he's been in my base C5. I love his Viper, as does he but he said if he wanted something that is more driver friendly and still looks great, that a Corvette is what he'd get. He himself hates the Viper for alot of the reason's everybody does. He thinks the car is to unstable at high speeds and heavy cornering and that the brakes are junk. Just what he's told me. They felt fine to me but i never pushed his car
Old 08-13-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DTZ06
Exactly. Tell me if you're into people doing a double take that this wouldn't make some people take notice:

exactly the car I was thinking of

seen it in person too. Dunno if any mods but, it looks like its doing 210 sitting there.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Teching In

I agree the viper can make 700 with a blower, but as far as not having an concerns of it blowing is not true. The vipers haven't had forged pistons since 99.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm still kind of on the fence but i've still got to sell my car and everything, so i've got a little time. Thanks for all the information. I really do think the c6z is the better car, that's why i posted here so you guys could convince me i will be making the right decision with the z.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

viper = status symbol only. trust me on this. i owned both my 01 viper and my 02 z06 at the same time. vette hands down the winner. watch the value of the viper drop like no other.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:08 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroSS621
viper = status symbol only. trust me on this. i owned both my 01 viper and my 02 z06 at the same time. vette hands down the winner. watch the value of the viper drop like no other.
Are you ******* retarded? The value on Vipers holds 10X better than any vette. My 1997 GTS will bring $39K easy, show me a vette that holds value like that. Values on Vipers is expected to rise, especially when production stops in a few years.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my cousin bought his for close to 90k out the door when he got his new and he said he was offered 45k for it and the guy thought that was fair. His car has less than 5k miles and is an '01
Old 08-15-2008, 06:12 AM
On The Tree

Vipe5rs hold there value pretty damn well. You can't get ANY viper for under 27k unless its wrecked. Not was wrecked and now fixed. Just wrecked!
Old 08-15-2008, 07:02 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TS6
Are you ******* retarded? The value on Vipers holds 10X better than any vette. My 1997 GTS will bring $39K easy, show me a vette that holds value like that. Values on Vipers is expected to rise, especially when production stops in a few years.
(not on the insults... but on the value prediction.)

Quick Reply: Anyone owned a viper and a c6z?