Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone have a polished intake??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone have a polished intake??

Looking for a Polished or Chrome intake for the bird. No typhoon intakes as in I think they do not look very good. I've seen the holly/weiand intake but am not sure if it is LS6 style. So if you have a shiney intake post up! OR if you know where I can get one. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why yes sir I do. It's a Weiand Lingenfelter Aluminum intake. Port/polished by Bo White. This intake started life as a satin version with the previous owner & he polished it up. I had it polished by a buddy a little more externally after getting it back from Bo. I'll finally install it when my new forged 347 goes in over the winter. I found some gaskets from Summit made by FelPro that comes with little blue o-rings made into the gasket specially for Aluminum intakes on LS motors. I figure I'll hit them with a little copper spray too & should never have a sealing issue.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Looks very nice! Flow or design wise, is it more like a LS1 intake or LS6? If I buy a polished intake I don't want to sacrifice HP. I have the stock ls6 intake.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:27 AM
12 Second Club

Well your gonna get mixed reviews of it. It's supposed to flow right up there with the LS6 stock to stock. Mine has been port/polished internally also by Bo White, so mine should outflow a LS6 as it sits.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Looks way cool.

I was thinking about the flow of it also. I really want the metal intake look, but I don't want to sacrifice flow.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Why yes sir I do. It's a Weiand Lingenfelter Aluminum intake. Port/polished by Bo White. This intake started life as a satin version with the previous owner & he polished it up. I had it polished by a buddy a little more externally after getting it back from Bo. I'll finally install it when my new forged 347 goes in over the winter. I found some gaskets from Summit made by FelPro that comes with little blue o-rings made into the gasket specially for Aluminum intakes on LS motors. I figure I'll hit them with a little copper spray too & should never have a sealing issue.

You don't know the part number for the gaskets right off hand do you? I am going with the same intake but having it chromed rather than polishing it. Can you reuse the stock intake bolts with it? Also the egr hole in the front....what do you do to block it off?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Mine just has a metal freeze plug hammered in to seal off the EGR. I'm probably gonna get a little plate to cover that though & squish some RTV between them to make damn sure it can't leak, LOL.

Here is a link to the gaskets
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...3&autoview=sku

No, you cannot re-use the stock bolting. You'll have to call Holley & order a install kit for it but it's only like $40 for everything. Thats what I also had to do.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Mine just has a metal freeze plug hammered in to seal off the EGR. I'm probably gonna get a little plate to cover that though & squish some RTV between them to make damn sure it can't leak, LOL.

Here is a link to the gaskets
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...3&autoview=sku

No, you cannot re-use the stock bolting. You'll have to call Holley & order a install kit for it but it's only like $40 for everything. Thats what I also had to do.
Thanks...one other thing, you cant reuse the stock fuel rails either can you? I dont think there is enough clearence for the crossover tube.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

Yes, they fit just fine. I test fitted a extra set I had laying around & there is no problems.

You just need the install kit b/c the bolts are longer than stock & they are also allen head bolts with little thin washers. The install kit will also come with all new bolting for the bottom access plate, TB gasket, hose fittings & small hose.

I believe if you go to Holley's site you can download the install instructions for free. There is a bolting sequence they call out for the install.

I also will be making a little clip to help hold the MAP sensor in the back of the intake along with some red RTV all around the sensor to ensure no leaking.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a few shot of a Weiand on the wifes car.
Polished up the fuel rails, tb, waterpump and a few other items.
No problems with this intake, heat soak ect.

Side note: I would use the Felpro gaskets vs the Holley. Also made a clip that attatched/bolted to the back to secure the MAP in place.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Do you have any pics of the clip your talking about for the MAP? And I asume its something that can be done with the engine in he car isnt it?

Forgive all my questions on this. I have never even seen a LS1 intake off a car in person so I am trying to see just how big a PAI this things going to be to install before I order it and spend the money to have it chromed.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry don't have a pics of the rear of the intake. Basically took a small piece of metal and bent it into a position to act as a strap/clip over the MAP. Then I drilled and tapped a hole so I could secure the strap/clip with a screw.

The intake will need to be removed for this.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

It's really simple man. I just bent a little peice of metal into a u-shape & then put the mounting screw thru that to suck it up tight against the intake. You'll want to do that before installing the intake.

Once you get the intake in your hands you'll see what we are talking about. It sounds worse than it really is. So does the install & removal of a intake on a LS motor while in the car. Alot of peoples problems stem from not being careful or paying attention wehen removing & installing the intakes. When I did my H/C swap it was the first time I had ever taken a LS motor apart & I didn't have a single issue.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Hey mike, where did you buy the intake?
Old 08-15-2008, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

In the for sale section on here. I have seen a couple of them listed here lately too. They average the same price as the LS6 intake. I'd never pay what they cost new cause they are WAY overpriced.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

polished gmpp

Quick Reply: Anyone have a polished intake??