PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Codes Deleted/ How long until thrown codes cycle out.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Codes Deleted/ How long until thrown codes cycle out.

I had my codes deleted since I am running an ORY. I was told to wait 50 to 75 miles so my computer could cycle the old thrown codes out. I drove the car 60 miles and went to get it inspected and it didn't pass. I went to another place and the guy said if I would have had one more code pop up I wouldn't have passed. One that showed up was the O2 sensor heater I think and the other was an H-Vac code I think. Luckily I still passed, but I was just curious about the codes still showing up in the computer after they have been tuned out.
Thanks for the answers to come.

Last edited by FastB; 08-17-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

those are not trouble codes, those are the OBDII readiness tests (catalyst, o2's, heated o2's, evap., air, egr, etc..) I have noticed that it takes about 1-2 cold starts to get most of mine to complete and about 3-4 cold starts to complete the catalyst and heated o2 tests. There is a procedure on a website that explains how to complete all readiness tests on a GM vehicle but I noticed after about 4 days of normal driving mine were all completed.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Codes disabled and the readyness tests being completed are 2 different things.

Ryan
Old 08-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Ok, so next year when I get it inspected will it be showing the same readiness codes? I don't completely understand. The guy that inspected said he was surprised that my check engine light wasn't on. Of course to myself I was like well that's because I had the codes deleted so the check engine light won't come on. But if they are not related then I am confused.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on if they know what readyness tests need to be completed, or just if they are not completed it causes an issue.

If you have access to hpt or efilive the scanners will give the status of the IM tests, and it may be possible to adjust settings to alter this.

Ryan
Old 08-17-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

readiness tests are to verify that each part of your emission system is working properly. Once the computer has verified that a component is functioning properly it will give it a "complete". If you re-flashed your PCM then these tests reset and they have to be re-verified. Do a search, you will find all the info you need.
Also, if all your readiness tests were incomplete that doesn't necessarily mean that you should be setting an engine code, it just means the car has not have enough time to complete the readiness tests. The tech you talked to must be a little misinformed, he is probably seeing, catalyst "incomplete" and saying, oh, you should be getting some type of check engine light, but it has nothing to do with it.
a trouble code + an incomplete test means something is wrong.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
readiness tests are to verify that each part of your emission system is working properly. Once the computer has verified that a component is functioning properly it will give it a "complete". If you re-flashed your PCM then these tests reset and they have to be re-verified. Do a search, you will find all the info you need.
Also, if all your readiness tests were incomplete that doesn't necessarily mean that you should be setting an engine code, it just means the car has not have enough time to complete the readiness tests. The tech you talked to must be a little misinformed, he is probably seeing, catalyst "incomplete" and saying, oh, you should be getting some type of check engine light, but it has nothing to do with it.
a trouble code + an incomplete test means something is wrong.
Ah, now I am beginning to understand a little more. Ok, so if there is no 02 sensor there then it will always show that it is not ready correct? Will it always be like that?
Old 08-17-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

I believe if you tune out all trouble codes that deal with that o2 sensors then the readiness code should go to complete, not just tuning out the SES light but the entire reporting. Also, don't worry, an incomplete readiness code will not make the car run any differently, I would worry more about the DTCs.

Quick Reply: Codes Deleted/ How long until thrown codes cycle out.