Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lots of smoke ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of smoke ??

im pretty new to the turbo world i just recently bought and installed an sts kit now when i go WOT i get a good bit of smoke out the exhaust and i noticed my car uses oil now how can i tell if its the turbo seals or if i dont have my pcv hooked up correctly?

i bought the kit used from a member of this site so it is a used turbo but he told me it only had like 10k on it
Old 08-18-2008, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onefastbunny
im pretty new to the turbo world i just recently bought and installed an sts kit now when i go WOT i get a good bit of smoke out the exhaust and i noticed my car uses oil now how can i tell if its the turbo seals or if i dont have my pcv hooked up correctly?

i bought the kit used from a member of this site so it is a used turbo but he told me it only had like 10k on it
It sounds like your return pump is stuck on low or not wrking. Or your pcv system is screwy.

If i were u I would do like i did and not run that stupid pcv switching thing if u have it, Just run a breather of the valve covers and wire the oil return pump to run on high all the time and ditch that hugh resistor. Also make sure ur check valve in the oil supply line is wrking correctly.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Teching In

i dont have the sts pcv thing i ran a catch can but to be honest im not sure if its ran correctly and what do you mean about the oil pump the electric one that comes with the kit? and are you talking about the little resistor box that gets mounted up on the inner fenderwell? did you just take that out completely?
Old 08-18-2008, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onefastbunny
i dont have the sts pcv thing i ran a catch can but to be honest im not sure if its ran correctly and what do you mean about the oil pump the electric one that comes with the kit? and are you talking about the little resistor box that gets mounted up on the inner fenderwell? did you just take that out completely?
Yes the electric oil return pump. Yeah that resistor, I just ran the pump with a relay thats activated by the fuel pump so when the fuel pump is running so is the oil return pump. Dont use the resistor.

you can do search on here and find lots of things us rearmount guys have made better or reengineered. Schantin has a lot of threads about this stuff too.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Teching In

thanks you very much i'll have to do some more research im just getting a lil overwhelmed with this it was kind of a big bite to chew at one time
Old 08-18-2008, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Read this. It will answer your Q's

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=fix+sts+oil

Quick Reply: Lots of smoke ??