Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Maxed out fuel pump symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Maxed out fuel pump symptoms?

Having trouble at the track, The car runs fine around town and pulls nice and hard to 6000 RPM, never a problem.
At the track, WOT it just stops pulling. My specs are in sig. Is this a symptom of inadequate fuel supply? I have yet to dyno the car so I am unsure of the horsepower, but I know I have to at least have it running to get it on the dyno. What is the easiest fuel preasure gauge I can hook up to monitor Fuel preasure? The fuel system is stock except for the pump, injectors, and hot wire kit, is there an immediate fuel system issue at this HP that I should address?..
Thanks
Old 08-18-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GOR1LA
Sorry i can't help but i was wondering what you run at the track cause im looking to do basically the same thing you have done?
19 seconds at 70MPH....Ya fixing this is important!
Old 08-18-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe belt slipping problems causing less boost or no boost at all?? Anyways yea fuel pressure gauge will be your best bet to see if its fuel related. Fuel pressure should be AT LEAST 57psi and more when combined using a fuel pressure regulator. Weird that it runs fine on the street tho and not at the track. I'd say its those two ideas first....after that i have no idea
Good luck either way tho!
Old 08-18-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fenix999
Maybe belt slipping problems causing less boost or no boost at all?? Anyways yea fuel pressure gauge will be your best bet to see if its fuel related. Fuel pressure should be AT LEAST 57psi and more when combined using a fuel pressure regulator. Weird that it runs fine on the street tho and not at the track. I'd say its those two ideas first....after that i have no idea
Good luck either way tho!
I have had the belt slip before, and the car was still fast, just not as fast. I mean this is so bad, when you step on the pedal it feels like someone shut off the engine,the RPM's drop, If I coast for a bit with my foot out of it, it comes back. When I drive home, the car has been fine thus far, I actually wish the problem would get worse so I don't keep driving to the track to try to diagnose.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

get a fuel pressure gauge. monitor it. if you run lean you will be buying a new engine. happened to me. you have never had it tuned? go to a shop and have them check it.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jmdgto
get a fuel pressure gauge. monitor it. if you run lean you will be buying a new engine. happened to me. you have never had it tuned? go to a shop and have them check it.
I ordered the gauge. I tune the car myself. I just asked if this sounds like a maxed out fuel system. I guess I am the only person to ever have this happen to them????? I mean on the street the car will break the tires loose at 60 MPH and kick out sideways. I figured 600-650 HP, now I am reading on other posts that my fuel system is probably not enough for what I have. The wideband was at 13ish to 1 but the car was at 4000-4500 and not pulling, so for WOT I was lean, but for 4500 and gagging I don't think 13:1 is horrible. Well I will keep digging
Old 08-19-2008, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Hey man, if its any indication, i have a fairly similar setup to you, i am just under 600hp, and my single hotwired racetronix pump is turning out to be not enough... my pressure is ok till about 5800, then from there it drops fairly quickly. I get out of it before i do any damage. I am going with a dual walbro setup, and well see what happens.

Good luck, hope you get it figured out!!!

--Mike
Old 08-19-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dcvingv6
Hey man, if its any indication, i have a fairly similar setup to you, i am just under 600hp, and my single hotwired racetronix pump is turning out to be not enough... my pressure is ok till about 5800, then from there it drops fairly quickly. I get out of it before i do any damage. I am going with a dual walbro setup, and well see what happens.

Good luck, hope you get it figured out!!!

--Mike
THANK YOU MIKE!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

No problem!!

I was figuring i was going to be OK with the single pump on my current setup.

It's scary when your racing, and the car falls flat on its face, and the fuel pressure is down near 40psi, and your on the stock bottom end. Wideband wasen't logging correctly, so i am not sure how lean i got, i noticed 12.7 as i got out of it.

I knew i was going to have to go with a dual setup (atleast) when the new forged 370 goes in, i guess i get to get that done and worked out now...

Welcome to the world of FI on LSx motors i guess!!!

Also not sure if you have seen it before, but there is a sticky at the top of this section showing how to do a twin walbro setup for fairly cheap. I have it all set ready to go, just waiting on the pumps to show up.

--Mike
Old 08-19-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

Ya I noticed that sticky tonight.......more reading...more work, let me know how it works out for ya
Old 08-20-2008, 06:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zapp168
I ordered the gauge. I tune the car myself. I just asked if this sounds like a maxed out fuel system. I guess I am the only person to ever have this happen to them????? I mean on the street the car will break the tires loose at 60 MPH and kick out sideways. I figured 600-650 HP, now I am reading on other posts that my fuel system is probably not enough for what I have. The wideband was at 13ish to 1 but the car was at 4000-4500 and not pulling, so for WOT I was lean, but for 4500 and gagging I don't think 13:1 is horrible. Well I will keep digging
i have had the same problem. i am at 650 rwhp with a bosch 044 pump. you need to change your fuel systems .srry if i was not clear.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jmdgto
i have had the same problem. i am at 650 rwhp with a bosch 044 pump. you need to change your fuel systems .srry if i was not clear.
Thanks man....just did not want to poke around in the dark

Quick Reply: Maxed out fuel pump symptoms?