LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

'06 Imp SS- tranny and mods question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Imp SS- tranny and mods question

I have already added a CAI as well as Magnaflow cat-back. I know these wont really hurt the tranny as they will only add around 20hp max and they wont mess with the ecm programming.

I also have the predator but i always seem to switch back and forth between 93 octane tune and the stock. Since i have read alot of posts that the tranny is already weak to begin with for the SS, i am very hesitant in keeping the diablo tune.

Is is worth it? Will the tranny be anymore stressed than it already is? Removing the torque management that is already there for a reason gives me 2nd thoughts. I'd like the extra power if the tranny is adaquately capable of handling it but i also don't want to take it in for repairs after 2 years.

Its not like i burn out or go WOT on a daily basis..hehe...

Last edited by ckso226; 09-04-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

something you might wish to know; My Impy was SLOWER in the quarter with the Diablo tune. The long, shuddering shifts seem to be the culprit. Add that to the harsh engagement of the DoD and I took out the tune, you might try the same. The car is a pleasure to drive now. Had Diablo actually done what they promised would be out soon (over TWO years ago) and added the TCM so that the shifts could be done with the TM in place, it would be a good modification. As it stands now, it looks like each and every person who bought one for the LS4 (and a couple other makes/models) are unpaid beta testers on a product that should never been released in its current form. I guess 'first to market' means last in support/functionality.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Doug, didn't you try their new tune with the TM added back in? I know someone here did and liked the new tune.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Well, i really don't care about disabling DOD at the moment. My main concern is if this tranny is adaquately capable of handling the TM disabled and the increased performance from the diablo as well as the other two mods.

And yes i do keep the DOD disabled when im using the predator b/c that harsh engagement, like you said doesn't feel normal.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I can get rid of that surge for ya with a custom tune...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 09-04-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Doug, didn't you try their new tune with the TM added back in? I know someone here did and liked the new tune.
yep, Lew set me up, highlighted how much different it should be. Shifts perfectly, has maybe a little more grunt (although it would be sweet with TM taken out except at the shifts). Essentially, the shifting and Dod part is the stock programing