LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Custom tube bending, for intake into fender

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 04:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Custom tube bending, for intake into fender

I would like to find someone that can either bend, or custom weld pieces to snake a pipe down thru the fender to the fog light area in my Impala to make a "ram air" or true cold air intake tube for more cold air, the LS4 intake is right next to the exhaust pipe / manifold piping the colder the better. Any ideas who can make one or do the work in NY?

No, I don't want those plastic tubes that are flexi, and snake like, I want to have a pipe powdercoated and shiny
Old 09-12-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Are you willing to cut the fender?
Old 09-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Teching In

No you can snake a small tube in there, go big tube in, to smaller tube back to big tube, and it will actually increase air flow.

I understand that is a turbo in our car, but there is no cutting of the fender, so it can be done. I found a place that sells pipping, I know someone that does aluminum welding, I'd rather find someone that has everything and does custom work.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Except for the fact that the turbo car is a Grand Prix. The Impala doesn't have the opening to the fenderwell the way the Grand Prix does. You will have to cut the fender like Buff mentioned.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

I'm missing how reducing pipe diameter increases airflow...

Isn't that like saying we should go with a smaller diameter exhaust to increase out-flow?????
Old 09-14-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Garden hose is a great example if you have a stagnant entry flow volume. Unfortunately all a smaller tube will do is kill the ability to scavenge the extra available air volume. Unless you can form a gradual decrease from a large pipe to a small pipe you are wasting your time. Otherwise you cause so much turbulence you kill any compression.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by eddiemoney
Garden hose is a great example if you have a stagnant entry flow volume. Unfortunately all a smaller tube will do is kill the ability to scavenge the extra available air volume. Unless you can form a gradual decrease from a large pipe to a small pipe you are wasting your time. Otherwise you cause so much turbulence you kill any compression.
Truth.

Quick Reply: Custom tube bending, for intake into fender