LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

DOD problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DOD problem?

Everything else feels normal, but as of the last two days it feels like my DOD is constantly kicking off and on at cruising speeds--sometimes audibly. I unplugged my battery overnight to see if that would help and to no avail. I am tuned, but no DOD settings were changed--no tuning or mods were done since june. Anyone experience this or have any suggestions?
Old 09-12-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres a million things that will make the DOD disable depending on how your driving. I'm also betting your letting off the throttle when dod is engaging and your having to lay back into the throttle toget where your wanting to go and its needing more power. This is where i find that 75% of dod operating is at. Premature throttle releasing! My suggestion would be to use cruise control you'll see that DOD is used alot less and when it is in use used alot longer if on the highway. If you don't want to see DOD enabled at all while in a certian situation put your car into 3rd gear and DOD won't activate.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Could be wind-related. With a headwind, you'll find that the car has to work harder to keep up speed and maybe that's what's doing it...?
Old 09-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Teching In

I too noticed my car doing that for the past two weeks like it kept coming on and off at low rpm not kicking but it made the DOD noticable, possibly due to different temperatures and a head wind, I do alot of traveling on the highway. But now that my car has a cusotm tune and its in 8cyl mode all the time it dosent do it anymore. I'm not saying that's the solution but I noticed this issue and with the flash it dosent do it anymore.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

eh....i dont think so guys, ive had this car since last june and its never acted like this before, i do all my highway driving on cruise control in 4th gear and now i can see my rpms surging as dod turns off and on repeatedly.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deft
eh....i dont think so guys, ive had this car since last june and its never acted like this before, i do all my highway driving on cruise control in 4th gear and now i can see my rpms surging as dod turns off and on repeatedly.
I do notice when my car is on it will "attempt" to activate DOD but its like it gives up and then trys again untill it can get the proper oil pressure. Does it do it enough to make a video ?
Old 09-13-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, i probably could.....if i can find the right speed i can watch my tach continually drop and then add about 100 rpm.

I think ill have to throw the tune back to factory and take it to the dealer......
Old 09-13-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deft
yeah, i probably could.....if i can find the right speed i can watch my tach continually drop and then add about 100 rpm.

I think ill have to throw the tune back to factory and take it to the dealer......
Odd.

Now that you mention changing PRM's it doesn't really sound like a DOD thing, I've never noticed a change in RPM with DOD operation. This sounds more like an issue with the torque converter clutch locking and unlocking.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

when dod kicks in it definitely dropped in rpms--at least as long as i had this car. also im pretty sure its the dod engaging and disengaging as it only occurs in 3rd and 4th gear and while cruising.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sint3k
I do notice when my car is on it will "attempt" to activate DOD but its like it gives up and then trys again untill it can get the proper oil pressure. Does it do it enough to make a video ?
this sounds about like the issue, but it never used to do it and now its an issue all the time.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

well maybe im wrong, transmission is shifting painfully hard and wont let me use manual mode---i guess ill get to meet my local dealer....
Old 09-14-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The transmission defaults to maximun shift pressure when an invalid torque signal is detected - also when you force the engine into open loop speed density. Removing that default was one of the first thinngs I did when I began tuning.

If I remember correctly, the downshift from 2 to 1 was so hard it felt like slamming into a wall.