LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel pump issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump issue?

Just wondering what you guys think, If I let my car sit and idle for a little while it will jsut kinda die out on me... no lights temp below 180, good oil psi etc... just wondering if it could all lead to the fuel pump. it has also stalled out on me while driving with no indication and any time it does this it doesn't want to start back up for a while. has new opti and coil
Old 09-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Village Troll

Received 520 Likes on 376 Posts

It could very well be. Buy/beg/borrow or steal a fuel pressure gauge from any parts store and find out.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check fuel pressure first, thats the best place to start. If not my guess would be opti if it restarts at any point (even after a little bit of a wait). Optis that are starting to get weak signals from the optical sensors do things like that before they start throwing codes for you to see.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do that and if it was your fuel pump odds are 9 out of 10 times it wouldnt even prime your system to start your car...very well could have bad injectors or have lost your tune...
Old 09-23-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

huh I will have to check with the fuel pressure. The opti is an msd pro billiet with 3-4k on it total. I already bought a new pump but i just want to see if the should be anything else I could try. Having a OBDII trans in the car might not do anything to do with it either do you think? The torque converter won't lock up because of this I know.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no your trans has nothing to do with your car dying out on you...

man you could have suet buily up in your injectors and they could just not be pumping the fuel through your system like they should be... wait what injectors are you running? stock? how many miles?

you have the pro billet ditributer and you can adjust that -+ 7 degrees...what is it set on?? to be honest you should have went with dynaspark spending that kind of money...

did you have a tune on your pcm when you did the upgrades?
Old 09-24-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stocl injectors, no tune yet. left the spark advance where it was set out of the box. with a dynaspark you still need an optical trigger which was dead on my stock 125k mil opti. the probillet is fine and can always adjust some later on...

Quick Reply: Fuel pump issue?