Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

boost leak test question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default boost leak test question

I had everything clamped down tight, we hooked the air compressor up to the capped off end with the valve stem , started pressurizing the system and the boost guage wouldnt budge. We felt around the couplings on all the piping, NO LEAKS. We couldnt find a leak anywhere. I removed the boost line from the BOV. We blew air into the boost line and saw the boost gauge worked fine. We left the boost line off the BOV and he started to pressurize the system. I had my hand over the BOV port and NO air would come out of the BOV port. should I be able to feel air come out of the BOV port? I would think so since that goes to the boost gauge, unless I got somthing hooked up all backwards. please help
Old 09-30-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The boost guage should be hooked up the the charge pipe pretty much anywhere you want but not to the BOV .the ports on the BOV are refrenced from manafold pressure it shoud see boost at WOT and vacume at idle . I guess it should work but the car would have to be running cause it would be getting the pressure form the manfold not the pipes .

You wont see any boost compresing the pipes if the gauge input is on the opposit side of the BOV
Old 09-30-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Here is how I have everything hooked up. See anything I need to change?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails boost leak test question-100_2054.jpg  
Old 09-30-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know I didnt type what I wrote as good as I understand it so .

The way that is hooked up the guage will only read when the manafold has pressure .
Old 09-30-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would do it like this Tap a fitting into the charge pipe and run that to the guage . This it is how I have always seen it done . I dont think you will have any problems with the way it is though .
Attached Thumbnails boost leak test question-100_2054.jpg  
Old 10-01-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

To read the pressure you are making in the pipes... You need to plumb the gauge to the pipes somewhere, not the manifold.

The way you are plumbed is basically correct for running conditions. If you want to see the pressure your making in the pipes with an air compressor you'll need to cap the pipe off at the TB end and the ends where it connects to the turbo's. Then plumb the boost gauge to that fitting somewhere. Or better yet, use a tire pressure gauge on the valve stem.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, where are you connecting the air source? Is it disconnected from the turbo, and connected at the Throttle body? Or is it disconnected and capped at both ends?

Need more info on how you are testing?

Ryan K.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find boost leaks 1000 % easier to find if have can access an automotive smoke machine. the other way is awkward with soapy water, my boost tester won't stay on the pipe..etc. Smoke machine found my leak in my 97 talon in like a minute. It was great.Showed big leak at intake manifold. And small one at tb. Fixed them and good to go.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:10 AM
TECH Junkie

I have a plastic PVC cap with a valve stem inserted into it. then I have the PVC cap clamped down on one side of the intercooler. Im twin turbo so I have 2 pipes going into the bottom of the intercooler and 1 pipe out of the top.

heres the link of what I made to perform this test.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html
Old 10-02-2008, 06:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I find boost leaks 1000 % easier to find if have can access an automotive smoke machine. the other way is awkward with soapy water, my boost tester won't stay on the pipe..etc. Smoke machine found my leak in my 97 talon in like a minute. It was great.Showed big leak at intake manifold. And small one at tb. Fixed them and good to go.

Hey thats how I plan to do mine
Old 10-02-2008, 06:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fire67
To read the pressure you are making in the pipes... You need to plumb the gauge to the pipes somewhere, not the manifold.

The way you are plumbed is basically correct for running conditions. If you want to see the pressure your making in the pipes with an air compressor you'll need to cap the pipe off at the TB end and the ends where it connects to the turbo's. Then plumb the boost gauge to that fitting somewhere. Or better yet, use a tire pressure gauge on the valve stem.

Ok, thanks!! Ill have to cap the TB off and try this.
My uncle has access to a smoke machine at his work so maybe he can get that for me.

thanks guys!
Old 10-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who needs a smoke machine when you have friends that smoke? I found a vacuum leak on my old pickup by taping up the carb except for a small hose going into it......of course in a wind free and well lit area.