Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

patriot heads package

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default patriot heads package

what are you guys opinion on the patriot performance heads? they are priced well below any others iv seen so far. is the quality way less as well?

$1295 for stage two heads.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:15 PM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: patriot heads package

i personally think it is a great buy. guys have been putting some tremendous numbers down with these heads. bolt ons....cam....heads can get 440+
in fact i just recently spent 5,400 on my motor and the heads were none other than patriot. i highly recommend jason from TSP----------->
Old 09-10-2003, 05:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Ive heard good about Patriot Heads!!What are the specs on the heads-exhaust and intake #'s.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive heard good about Patriot Heads!!What are the specs on the heads-exhaust and intake #'s.
I was also wondering the flow #'s on those heads. If they are good you cant beat that price
Old 09-10-2003, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

My flow sheet is scanned into my computer at work, when I get there in the morning I'll post it.

Oh, and you can't go wrong for the money. Great heads and wonderful service. Dyno numbers in the sig.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

i personally think it is a great buy. guys have been putting some tremendous numbers down with these heads. bolt ons....cam....heads can get 440+
in fact i just recently spent 5,400 on my motor and the heads were none other than patriot. i highly recommend jason from TSP----------->
This in no way is a bash but where is all these guys that do 440+ with patriot heads, I think your talking about absolute heads. The patriot head dynos have been few but are in the 390-410 range, which is not bad but nothing outstanding, they had a few valves and rocker fit problems lately, you will need to invest $500 for a set of yella terra rockers to clear the spring retainers, there should be more results popping up in the future and they are coming out with a 6.0l version. Patriot gets an a+ for customer service but as far a best bang for the buck I feel absolute speed wins that hands down with all there near 460 dynos for 1400.00, they just may get my bussiness
Old 09-10-2003, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ne14a6t9,
There is some over 440hp dyno cars running our heads.Yes,I offer great customer service.No, you do not need the Yella terra rockers to clear my retainers.I have a "NEW" stock dia dual spring that is standard equipment.The larger spring is only by request.The 6.0L head is now ready.I offer the head in any chamber size from 58cc to 75cc. This is offered on the factory deck height.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:40 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have seen cars dyno over 440rwhp with everyone cylinder head on the market. Making a blanket statement that ALL cars dyno over 440rwhp with brand X heads is incorrect. I agree they are good bang for the buck and if you can get 440rwhp than more power to you.
Phillip
Old 09-10-2003, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok i have seen 1 car dyno 440 and it was from a shop that sells the heads, for the amount of problems that have been occuring and the numerous amount of low dyno #'s you should be looking into Absolute Speed or JPR. they are both offering a new set of stage 1.5 heads at a better price then patriots. im sure these heads will get you into the 420 power range. take a look or call them up.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

terry is a great guy to deal with, my patriots should be at my door tomorrow and i really look foward to putting them on

there is no need to invest 500 in new rockers, some have problems and all you have to do is clearance the rockers a few thousands which would take no more than an hour

and the absolutes and jprs are not cheaper, patriot will buy your stock heads back for 200 bucks, that means 1095 for great stage II heads

hey terry,
did my heads get the big springs or stock diameter springs (comp 978's i hope)???

ryan
Old 09-10-2003, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

what are you guys opinion on the patriot performance heads? they are priced well below any others iv seen so far. is the quality way less as well?

Why don't you ask this question..

Is there anyone that ACTUALLY OWNS or has DIRECT experience with patriot that WOULDN'T buy them again?

Don't be surprised if you don't get any negative answers.. all the negative stuff comes from people that don't own the heads or have NO experience with them. I own a set of 5.3's and have ordered a set of the new LS6 "style" heads. So this OWNERS vote goes for the best value in performance and service on the market.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

This is a bad time to ask about heads. TEA and PP are both getting bashed a bit so it's hard to make a decision. Believe me I'm there now. One week I'm going TEA the next I'm at Absolute. I chose to avoid PP because they were new and I want Tried and true. Quite honestley I'm leaning toward the Absolute stage 2 5.3's. The good point for TEA and PP is that you can get heads tomorrow! Absolute hand ports and it takes a few weeks. I have a feeling that it's worth the wait.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally don't believe its fair to bash the spring/retainer clearance issue.I agree,there should have been a notice included in the boxes tell folks to check the clearance.Other head companies offer these springs as an option,I was including them as standard equipment,then get bashed for it.I am constantly working to offer the best cylinder head available (REGARDLESS OF PRICE).
Old 09-10-2003, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

there is always going to be bashing of one companies heads by people who have other companies products. take ne14a6t9, he doesnt have any heads, so i just jumps in every thread and bashes everyone.

all the big companies, tea, absolute, jpr, etc all have cars that put out great numbers, but they have also been out alot longer than patriot has. give these heads some time, only a handful of people have dynoed with them, and the results havent been bad at all. and im sure as more people get the heads, and more people dyno with them, the numbers will be on par with alot of the more expensive heads out.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is there anyone that ACTUALLY OWNS or has DIRECT experience with patriot that WOULDN'T buy them again?

Don't be surprised if you don't get any negative answers.. all the negative stuff comes from people that don't own the heads or have NO experience with them. I own a set of 5.3's and have ordered a set of the new LS6 "style" heads. So this OWNERS vote goes for the best value in performance and service on the market.
Yes, I was sold this same 'package'. I was told it was a simple swap of part A with part B, that's why I was also attracted to this deal - no bullshit to deal with (guess I was WAY wrong). HAD I been forewarned about clearance issues with the rockers, I would have figured in the extra $500 for the YT's, but since I did not know, I used that money towards my tune.
If I have any grinding on my rockers or retainers, I'm gunna be pissed if I have to change this oil again, I spend $75 on an AMSOil change, not to mention i'm going to have to GRIND my rockers with tools I don't have. This is a LOT of BS that was not planned nor was it even a concept that was relayed to me. I thought these heads were tested and I was not the f'n alpha/beta tester of these, and I could rely on a part not failing. Aren't the retainers made of titanium? If the retainers are being chewed up and not the rockers, how could this be??

<----- another disgruntled customer...
remarks made by hannibal and v8maro is very unhappy
enough said
Old 09-10-2003, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Remember you port your own heads.. Have a good machine shop cut the valve seats and deck them and then purchase springs and valves and have them flowed for about $800..The can flow very well I know a few people who have had sucess. But I know a few who just ruined the heads and wasted the money becaused they flowed good but had crap bottom end.

So you are only paying $200 plus shippinng if you return your cores to him for him to take the worry of building and getting the porting done right.

BTW I am an Absolute user and will continue to use them. But I am not closed minded. just wait and see. PP will either get a really good rep and the price will go up or he will get a bad one and go out of bussiness.

Darrell
Old 09-10-2003, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I was sold this same 'package'. I was told it was a simple swap of part A with part B, that's why I was also attracted to this deal - no bullshit to deal with (guess I was WAY wrong). HAD I been forewarned about clearance issues with the rockers, I would have figured in the extra $500 for the YT's, but since I did not know, I used that money towards my tune.
If I have any grinding on my rockers or retainers, I'm gunna be pissed if I have to change this oil again, I spend $75 on an AMSOil change, not to mention i'm going to have to GRIND my rockers with tools I don't have. This is a LOT of BS that was not planned nor was it even a concept that was relayed to me. I thought these heads were tested and I was not the f'n alpha/beta tester of these, and I could rely on a part not failing. Aren't the retainers made of titanium? If the retainers are being chewed up and not the rockers, how could this be??

<----- another disgruntled customer...
remarks made by hannibal and v8maro is very unhappy
enough said
So why don't you let them chime in and reitirate their opinion instead of speaking for them?

If I recall the fundamental step of checking rocker arm clearance was not taken, hence the problems.
Several people commented on this procedure and was not limited to just PP. Even TEA chimed in having the same problem and changing the retainers to comensate. Terry just stated making an adjustment in springs to avoid future problems.

Funny you conviniently left that part out.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

heres another one for yah gomer
dont want to trash ARE because i am not personally familiar with the way they handled anything. when a check shows up i might not be quite as hard on patriot. And it was the only item in the mix that is thus far "unproven". 380 rwhp with a tr224 and dyno tuning all boltons is a little low imo (thru stock cats).

--------------------
98 SS A4
FTRA,SHANERS S2,LID
ST3500/TRANSGO,NITTO 315S
13.34@106.42 CRAPPY 2.2 60FT
Authorized Corbeau Dealer
sscam68, its not only the valves were breaking, the springs, and the retainers not clearing, it is also low dyno #'s and horrible mph's at the track.
im sure these guys will post up there 2 cents. i do know patriot is doing great customer service and taking care of them. but i dont know what he can do about low hp.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Launching!

BTW I am an Absolute user and will continue to use them. But I am not closed minded. just wait and see. PP will either get a really good rep and the price will go up or he will get a bad one and go out of bussiness.

Darrell
Forgot an option...

Maybe Terry will continue making a really good head, keep his really good rep, and keep the price the same.

I've danced around this subject more than once, but here's the blanket statement:

If you are paying more than $1600 for a set of Stage 2 CNC heads FROM ANYBODY, you're getting raped - and I don't care whose name is on them.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

I've got Patriot Heads, haven't been on a dyno yet. I did not however realize that I was going to have rocker arm/retainer issues, all this after I found out about the "possible bad valves" and had fixed the issue. If anyone would like to see pics of the retainers, I'll be more than happy to send them to you.