LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Need Shift Kit Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Shift Kit Advice

Hello. I need some advice on a shift kit for my car. I have the a Vector tune and it did help out my shifts but it has never been quite as good as what I wanted. So I have had an Intense Shift Kit for a while but never installed it until last weekend. Holy Crap! It make a huge difference. The downshifts are amazing and at all speeds and application of the throttle the shifts are much quicker and crisper. But I am concerned about the 1-2 shift at full throttle. It hits hard. Harder than what I am comfortable with. I know that many people on this board have a tune + the ZZP shift kit. I ordered the ZZP shift kit and should receive it tomorrow. My question is this: what level of shift firmness did you use from the ZZP kit if you also have increased line pressure from a tune? Also, if you have the Intense kit installed, is there a way to change the level for firmness with this kit? The instructions with it are not very helpful. TIA.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

No one has any info? Come on guys.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

I've never used a shift kit in my car, but quite a few people on clubgp.com are. People usually use the one that's one step above stock if they DD the car. Dedicated cars might go higher.

As for the line pressure. I wouldn't mess with that too much. Keep it stock or maybe a bit higher, but don't jack the hell out of it to increase shift performance. If you put the ZZP kit in, lower the pressure (technically, you should lower the pressure now because of the Intense kit). Line pressure is not the way to go.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used a zzp shift kit and also increased my line pressure for about 8000 miles so far and no problems. I slam on my gas everytime i can so i am a good indication of the strength of our tranny. also if you look around on the site you will see that many people say it makes your tranny last longer cause of no gear slip.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Launching!

I did the same got about 10.000 miles and no probs. Just gotta know what your doing and what is safe.