LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Seeking Car Advice.....REALLY long winded

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking Car Advice.....REALLY long winded

Hi all, for those who are new, I had the first Turbo GXP using a Cartuning kit, results are below in my sig. Last fall I was dead set on selling the GXP so I put the car back to stock except for the lowering springs, built trans and dual valve springs but when I looked for another car at the time I didn't see anything I liked.

Then I thought I would wait till spring and just beef up the motor and do a more hardcore turbo setup with Cartuning's help and shoot for 650whp. So here we are, it's pretty much almost spring here in Canada and I'm weighing out my options.

I'm at the point (29, getting married this year, no kids, own a house etc.) where I want a FUN car to drive rather then a huge boat however I still need to commute to work 30 miles each way so it needs to be somewhat economical (GXP not so economical).

So I have been thinking of options for a replacement car instead of an all out build. Since I'm upside down on my loan as I'm sure most are with a 2 year old GXP, I want to get something used maybe 04/05 ish so when we add my left over loan my payments would be lower then what I have now. In Canada, we either didn't get some of the same cars as you guys or they are way too much $$ here so it's a bit limiting. I am looking at a car that is either RWD or AWD and something that has a manual tranny. Something I can drive daily, drive in winter with good winter tires, something that's "cool looking" something that I can go to a track day and have fun with etc.

Options:

-RX-8 I really like the looks and that is has rear seats, it's got SHITTY torque but apparently a really nice car to drive in the twisties with, can't drive it without making sure you get it up to operating temp before turning it off, needs a turbo kit

-350Z love the looks of this car, no rear seats which sucks, still needs a turbo kit to get decent power

-Subaru WRX, They are decent, turbo upgrade and fuel upgrades they can get some good power but apparently anything over 300whp the trans can't hold the power...the STI here in Canada is still WAY too much $$$, 25k cdn for them so when you add the amount I'm upside down on it just doesn't make sense.

-G8, the sales here in Canada SUCK, so used there aren't any CHEAP options and new is still too much $$

-Early 2000 Vette they are still pretty expensive, sweet cars though

-F-body's, there really aren't many for sale here, not sure I would want one anyways

-Mazda Miata, I could get an older one and swap in an LS1 that would be insanely fun to drive

What else is out there?

The weird thing is I ALWAYS come back to the GXP and say to myself "This car REALLY isn't bad at all" But it's just a big FWD boat with an auto trans, corners like **** compared to others and other then stepping on it in a straight line or putting 4 adults in there with luggage isn't really "fun" to me anymore (I still love the car for what it is, and all the features like HUD but it's gotten super boring and if I do it up with more power, then all I can do is go fast in a straight line but then I get pulled over and car impounded and lose my license, what good is that?)

Anyone else in the same boat or were in a similar boat and moved to a GXP as a result?

Sorry for the super long post.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

370Z, but that's probably more than you're wanting to spend.

Find a 03-04 Mustang Cobra.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Regular

Oh yeah, Mustang is on the list as well, 03/04 Cobra is still close to 30k...way too much but insane car. a 03/04 GT or even the newer style 05 GT is still pretty cheap, of course cuz it's a domestic, but still

370Z is like 50k + what I would still owe on the GXP that would be WAY too much.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Geez, Canadian prices are insane. The 370Z at my dealership is 33k with sport package.

You got me thinking, what about a GTO?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:13 AM
TECH Regular

never sold them here so if there are any they are imported from the US right now there is one in the auto trader, an 05 with 20k miles on the clock going for 25k....

If I wanted to stay domestic I could get a 08 Cobalt SS with the turbo, they have the 4 door one as well and used they are cheap, it actually got some really good reviews but it's still FWD http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...re+page-2.html
Old 03-13-2009, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Cobalts do get great reviews, and apparently aren't shabby in the handling department.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:36 AM
TECH Regular

I have the same thoughts. Its really not that bad, I love the power and torque it has. The dual auto climate, seat heaters, heads up, factory remote start, bilsteins, bigger brakes, 18s, and a LSX motor make it a pretty neat sleeper/underdog. In the end no matter how I look at it though I want a rear wheel drive manual car that I can have fun in the twisties and not just going in a straight line. I have been heavily considering trading in on a GTO or a CLK500 before I get upside down on the loan.

Why not just keep the GXP so you don't lose out money? An older Miata with a swapped 302/306/347 ford motor would be cheap and haul *** and be tons of fun. If you have a little more to spend they have the LSX swap kits too.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:40 AM
Staging Lane

since it seems like you're starting a family, and want something with back seats, but is still decently fun to drive and can at least somewhat handle, and can use in the snow, how about a Charger R/T AWD?
Old 03-13-2009, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What’s up Jay, if you get rid of the GXP you really have to drive the turbo Cobalt. A friend of mine has one and it is fun as hell. I can’t believe how nice it rides for a small car.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Red03GT
I have the same thoughts. Its really not that bad, I love the power and torque it has. The dual auto climate, seat heaters, heads up, factory remote start, bilsteins, bigger brakes, 18s, and a LSX motor make it a pretty neat sleeper/underdog. In the end no matter how I look at it though I want a rear wheel drive manual car that I can have fun in the twisties and not just going in a straight line. I have been heavily considering trading in on a GTO or a CLK500 before I get upside down on the loan.

Why not just keep the GXP so you don't lose out money? An older Miata with a swapped 302/306/347 ford motor would be cheap and haul *** and be tons of fun. If you have a little more to spend they have the LSX swap kits too.
So the problem is I got this car with $0 down so my payment is ridiculously high, I couldn't keep this and also spend money on another project.

But I feel the same way. I guess if I got by for another couple years it will be paid off and then I could get a fun car.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Go for an Audi S4, S6 or if you can find it cheap RS4, RS6.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was looking at a gto or 90s vette. both were around $15k but the vette had way more miles. sucks they dont sell the gto in canada. can you import it?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you guys have Suby Legacy GT's Awd 2.5 flat four. turbo. VVT 5 spd man. 250 hp stock. With turbo change, exhaust and chip should be close to 400. Still fun. AWD for winter and handling. I love audis but they are pricy. Look at the old school audi s4/s6 from 92-96. Stronger motor than the 2.7 TT in the late 90's and early 2000'2 S4. If u want luxury The saab 9-2x wich is basically a suby wrx but with nicer interior. Mazdaspeed6 2.3 Direct Injection Turbo/intercooled. AWD, Man trans avalible, VW or audi with the 1.8 or 2.0T models. plenty of upgrades for them. Lots of ideas depends what u want. Older M3. Caddilac STS-v or CTS-V
Old 03-13-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, you're right, pretty much all of those are good options! Man, so many things to think about.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree they are a good DD or wife car. Get decent milage and kinda cool and rare but there is only so much that we can do and really have it worth while. I enjoy driving it around from point a to b. But its not a true toy i dont think.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL at suggesting an RS4. Even used that's going to be WAY out of his price range. Personally I'd stay away from the RX-8. If you're dead set on a manual you might as well cross the G8 off your list unless you're gonna find a used GXP already.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

I'm so desperate I called and sent requests to shops to see how much to convert my GXP to RWD Manual, lol
Old 03-13-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

hahaha I'd imagine that wouldn't be worth the cost unless you have some major connections. I really would look into a Charger R/T as mentioned by someone else, although I'd go with the RWD version. Plenty of aftermarket for the 5.7L Hemi. I've heard alot of stuff actually isn't compatible with the AWD cars that are with the RWD ones so there would be a much smaller aftermarket.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

The Charger is still a pretty heavy tank though, wouldn't be the car to go carving corners with lol.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah no, my buddy has a Charger SRT-8 with some mods and it's still pretty damn SLOW. It's a HUGE beast and still Auto

Converting the GXP I was told would be around 20k ish....the guy told me to buy a G8, I really don't think he gets it, lol