LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Alternative intake setup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative intake setup?

Well, I've been doing some thinking. Instead of dropping a ton of money on a TBS and K&N intake, I believe I'm going to go a different route. Using the help from 06MonteSS (Lew) I'm going to use some of his ideas to do the following:

- Remove accordion-style intake elbow with a smooth silicone 3.25" ID elbow.
- Fitting rubber grommet for the crankcase vent breather tube.
- Connected to a Hamburger (or other brand) TBS.
- Simply replacing the stock paper filter with a K&N drop-in filter.

I believe with these changes in conjunction with one another I'll be able to achieve a similar result, besides sound, compared to a CAI option and it would be half the cost.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a good plan. I am sure you'll get close to the results you desire. With the tube hole in the silicone smooth tube you can also drill a smaller hole than the tip of the breather tube and just force the nipple in the silicone tube. That's what I did and it doesn't leak. I was going to use the grommet way but I didn't want to screw around with any RTV gooey stuff. lol...

-Mike
Old 06-24-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Very true. I'll probably end up getting one just incase I decide to go that route though. Plus, keeping my options open is always plus. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, but what's the fun if you can't say you have a K&N intake?

lol

Sounds like a plan. I always wanted to take out the CAI and see how it compared to performance with the stock box, but never got around to it.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

car craft i believe had an article a month or two back on how to check how restrictive a factory airbox is. i dont think you get a seat of the pants feel with a cai. just my opinion though.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

So you both think this method sounds promising?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

car craft i believe had an article a month or two back on how to check how restrictive a factory airbox is. i dont think you get a seat of the pants feel with a cai. just my opinion though.
i got the CAI intake and i could def. tell a difference. better throttle response was very apparent.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DP 08 GXP
i got the CAI intake and i could def. tell a difference. better throttle response was very apparent.
same here....

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 06-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Wizair is working on a CAI for the LS4 cars.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

The only advantage I see is dyno proven engineering from K&N. What is it for these cars? 14 claimed HP gain? That's a lot on a N/A engine. Guys change out intake manifolds and even cams to see those gains.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

But there are no headers or cam designed for the LS4. So if K&N can give us any HP over stock, its a better gain vs. not having it.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MCSS07
But there are no headers or cam designed for the LS4. So if K&N can give us any HP over stock, its a better gain vs. not having it.
You completely missed my point.

I was up selling the K&N based on its proven numbers. You will spend much more money on other parts to get the same amount of gain. So, to me it's worth it.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yeah.. but K&N's numbers are over-inflated too...

they're testing that **** on a flow bench, where all there is, is an air filter... not an actual car, with the filter behind a headlight and other restrictions...

no way you're getting a 14hp gain...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 06-24-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
yeah.. but K&N's numbers are over-inflated too...

they're testing that **** on a flow bench, where all there is, is an air filter... not an actual car, with the filter behind a headlight and other restrictions...

no way you're getting a 14hp gain...
Has anyone dynoed these cars with one, yet?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Im sure someone has.

I would take K&N word over a smaller company any day of the week. They have been doing this for a lot longer then the guys at CAI
Old 06-24-2009, 11:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I'm not saying that CAI's brand is any better or gives any better gains at all... I'm just saying that K&N's claims aren't reality...

hell, CAI's brand doesn't even say what their gains are... but even with them, a gain in throttle response - yes... gain in acceleration - yes... gain of 14hp - no way...

Old 06-25-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

its not really taking there word they have a dyno chart and granted i dont believe it either even though i have one and would love for it to be true. but its kind of false advertising to put up a chart saying what your product can do under certain conditions and it cant. heres the link from there own site.
http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/63-3059_dyno.pdf
Old 06-25-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i built my intake based on the cai with 20 bucks worth of aluminum and didnt have to f around re locating the pcm i think it works great the gains on the k and n are mostly just due to the bigger filter they have an equation to use on their site on how much surface area you should have i think the stock one is like 96 and we need like 116 or something as far as tbs go i would get the smooth one somone found in that thread because i spent two hours making my airaid one smooth today so thet goddamn wistle would stop
Old 06-25-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
Well, I've been doing some thinking. Instead of dropping a ton of money on a TBS and K&N intake, I believe I'm going to go a different route. Using the help from 06MonteSS (Lew) I'm going to use some of his ideas to do the following:

- Remove accordion-style intake elbow with a smooth silicone 3.25" ID elbow.
- Fitting rubber grommet for the crankcase vent breather tube.
- Connected to a Hamburger (or other brand) TBS.
- Simply replacing the stock paper filter with a K&N drop-in filter.

I believe with these changes in conjunction with one another I'll be able to achieve a similar result, besides sound, compared to a CAI option and it would be half the cost.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
You might as well buy a K&N cone filter and adapter to and lose the stock airbox. It won't cost you that much more money (if any) over buying a factory shaped one. Then you'll def be good to go.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by texasGXP08
You might as well buy a K&N cone filter and adapter to and lose the stock airbox. It won't cost you that much more money (if any) over buying a factory shaped one. Then you'll def be good to go.
Would a K&N cone filter fit onto our MAF as-is, without modification? Because I would definitely go that route instead of a drop-in. Thanks.

A picture to help determine the answer. I still can't tell though.

Last edited by RickAKATed10; 06-25-2009 at 10:26 AM.