LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

FUBAR Pontiac-Buick

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUBAR Pontiac-Buick

This all started with a high-tech am-fm-6cd-nav that couldn't hear AM radio.

BUT...let me skip ahead. A couple of days ago a funny thrumming noise started from the rear. Sounded sort of like a soft or flat tire, but the tires were fine.

I mentioned this thrumming to the dealer while bringing it back for the radio--again--and when I picked the car up this afternoon, the svc manager 'splained to me how they solved the problem.

Les Schwab, an idiot tire dealer they sent the car to, told them them wheels is offset and the skinny tires go in front, whoever had this car before you screwed it up and put the fat tires on the front and that caused the rubbing.

Well that's funny, I told them the rubbing started five miles ago. Guess that doesn't matter. This dealer is not in the business of listening.

The current tires have been on for about 2,000 miles, I got them at Discount Tire locally.
Not Les Schwab, and FWIW I will never darken their door after seeing how stupid and ignorant they are.

The dealer WOULD NOT HEAR ME when I told them "This is the way Pontiac designed this car. The 255.45.18 go on the front, the rears are supposed to be 225.50.18 (one size up on my car due to nonavailability). That's the way Pontiac designed the car."

Never mind. Despite that this is a Pontiac-Buick-GM dealer and, hopefully, they have specs available, the sm and another tech kept saying we fixed it, rubbing's gone, big tires go on back.

They looked at me as if I was some sort of irritating troublemaker, tryin to tell them their bidness.

I said no, fix it. SM shrugged and told mech to take it in and flip the tires. THAT's when he discovered the tire rubbing the Left Rear strut.

He surmised it had collapsed, said "I don't see no fluid."

I said it's a gas strut, WTF do I have to tell you every damn thing about this goddam car you're supposed to be the experts on, maybe gas struts don't bleed fluid when they die?

So the MF has ordered one LR Bilstein.

One of the geniuses pulled up the build sheet for the car, and they discovered what tires go where. The SM kindly gave that to me as I was departing. Like I need it.

I will detail the radio screw-ups in another thread.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL dealers are hilarious!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

**** pisses me off just reading about it and its not even my car haha
Old 04-10-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

well they are GMC Buick mechanincs..There is no more Pontiac..they got rid of all those guys a while ago.. jk I know its frustrating..

But think of it this way. you have a very limited production car. SHould they know about it? Yes. Will they? Probably not.

When my wife went to have an alignment on the car at the local Firestone. They did the same thing..they said the fronts are supposed to be in the back..being a car girl she knows..and told them. Also he commented on the shocks and asked if it came that way..she said yup..and the red calipers he thought they were just painted stock ones. Nope PBR
and last was..this is a V8? and she said yes it is. He said is it fast. She said..fast enough
Old 04-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Hahaha. Support your local dealer. These boys have been a B-P-GMC dealer forever.

I know I shouldn't expect much from these numbskulls, but this just pissed me off.

I told my wife I won't darken these MF's doors again once we finish with this radio issue. Which they finally did, incredibly.

First time I pulled it into the local Chevy dealer for some routine service, one of the writers immediately got down and checked the F & R tire sizes. Methinks he knew what it was about...
Old 04-10-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

well atleast my local dealer an't that dumb haha
Old 04-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Launching!

It's amazing how so many dealers are so stupid.

I went to one this morning to pick up a downpipe gasket, and the guy at the desk told me, he didn't understand my terminology "downpipe", so I said the pipe that connects the exhaust manifold to the cat/rest of the exhaust. He's like I still can't help you, I need a VIN....

Needless to say, I went somewhere else to get the part...
Old 04-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Banned

My Bilsteins weren't stock according to my local DS, they also had a used GXP with 3.8L V6 on the window sticker...
Old 04-10-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

You need to get acquainted with a tech and only let him touch your car the guy that works on mine is in the same car club with me and we work on it on Saturdays together.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DieselPump
It's amazing how so many dealers are so stupid.

I went to one this morning to pick up a downpipe gasket, and the guy at the desk told me, he didn't understand my terminology "downpipe", so I said the pipe that connects the exhaust manifold to the cat/rest of the exhaust. He's like I still can't help you, I need a VIN....

Needless to say, I went somewhere else to get the part...
Most dealership parts guys can't do anything without a VIN. That gets frustrating at times.

Originally Posted by StealthV8
well atleast my local dealer an't that dumb haha
You are damned lucky.

Originally Posted by JP_GXP
My Bilsteins weren't stock according to my local DS, they also had a used GXP with 3.8L V6 on the window sticker...
I guess you have to be able to read before you can check out the parts-is-parts specs.

Originally Posted by Mels SS
You need to get acquainted with a tech and only let him touch your car the guy that works on mine is in the same car club with me and we work on it on Saturdays together.
I'm going to check the Chevy dealer after I'm done with this knucklehead. These guys are clueless. At least they finally blundered onto a fix for the AM radio.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
The dealer WOULD NOT HEAR ME when I told them "This is the way Pontiac designed this car. The 255.45.18 go on the front, the rears are supposed to be 225.50.18 (one size up on my car due to nonavailability). That's the way Pontiac designed the car."
P225/50R18 is the size of our rear tires. It's not "one size up."

In case you didn't know, the second number set is the ratio of the sidewall to the tire width. Therefore, the rear sidewall height of 112.5 mm is 50% of the tire's width of 225 mm. And the front sidewall height of 114.75 mm is 45% of the tire's width of 255 mm. This is the reason why our rears look slightly "thinner" than our fronts (112.5 vs. 114.75).

Car manufacturers with cars with staggered wheels always try to keep the sidewalls around the same height, regardless of tire/wheel widths.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GXP25
P225/50R18 is the size of our rear tires. It's not "one size up."

In case you didn't know, the second number set is the ratio of the sidewall to the tire width. Therefore, the rear sidewall height of 112.5 mm is 50% of the tire's width of 225 mm. And the front sidewall height of 114.75 mm is 45% of the tire's width of 255 mm. This is the reason why our rears look slightly "thinner" than our fronts (112.5 vs. 114.75).

Car manufacturers with cars with staggered wheels always try to keep the sidewalls around the same height, regardless of tire/wheel widths.

Actually I do know. I have been buying tires for many decades now. I am aware of what all the little numbers mean.

The DWS do not come in 225.50.18, closest is 235.50.18 which is what I have fitted. Hence the "one size up."

See sig for details.

Regards.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually I do know. I have been buying tires for many decades now. I am aware of what all the little numbers mean.

The DWS do not come in 225.50.18, closest is 235.50.18 which is what I have fitted. Hence the "one size up."

See sig for details.

Regards.
I see now.

Your story made it seem like P255/50R18 was what you were running and that it wasn't stock, but "one size up," lol.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't believe the level of ignorance displayed at some dealerships. This is one of the things GM needs to fix if they expect to keep some of the conquest business they've earned through their improved products.

My Impala is currently at the local "new" Chevy dealer (transmission died!), which is actually a Cadillac/former Hummer dealer. The level of service so far has been good, but I'm concerned about a lack of knowledge on the V8 W-body, as there's no Cadillac platform-mate of our cars.

I'm just hoping for the best!
Old 04-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GXP25
I see now.

Your story made it seem like P255/50R18 was what you were running and that it wasn't stock, but "one size up," lol.
Thanks, man, didn't mean to jump so high. I am a little tweaky after talking to dealermorons for two weeks.

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
I can't believe the level of ignorance displayed at some dealerships. This is one of the things GM needs to fix if they expect to keep some of the conquest business they've earned through their improved products.

My Impala is currently at the local "new" Chevy dealer (transmission died!), which is actually a Cadillac/former Hummer dealer. The level of service so far has been good, but I'm concerned about a lack of knowledge on the V8 W-body, as there's no Cadillac platform-mate of our cars.

I'm just hoping for the best!
AMEN brother. Jeez, they didn't even check, they just assumed some volume tire ******* knew what he was doing. They all have computer screens right in front of them.
Oh wait, maybe The Mickey Mouse Show was on...
Old 04-12-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

AMEN brother. Jeez, they didn't even check, they just assumed some volume tire ******* knew what he was doing. They all have computer screens right in front of them.
Oh wait, maybe The Mickey Mouse Show was on...
Neanderthal UNCENSORED!!

GMI needs more of these kinds of posts, but such biting commentary gets folks banned there!