LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Buickracer explain this to us...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buickracer explain this to us...

Bellow, is one of your old post. You dyno'd 270.6hp and 289.5ft/lbs with your MF exhaust, K&N intake, and tuning

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...y-11-17-a.html

DT, only got 258/279 for a baseline dyno test before headers, and 276hp/309ft/lbs after the headers?
Very.. disappointing man. I put down 255/275 after tuning all stock. I know all dynos are different, but I'm having a hard believing DT headers made any difference at all.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

not only are all dynos different but you have to factor operator error and the fact that not all engines are equal even if they are all LS4's.
Dyno numbers should be used for tunning not bragging (you get your base and work your way up)..The track is where you really find out if a mod worked. we are not dyno queens
Old 05-04-2010, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

I totally agree but still.....
Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

I know I know hahaha
but if you want a dyno queen get a supra because remember the old saying "Whats the difference between a 400hp and 600hp supra.. about a half second in the 1/4"
I don't think thats the actual saying but you get the picture.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Absolutely you should NOT compare dyno numbers from one dyno to another, from one engine to another, from one operator to another unless all dyno test were done on same dyno, under exactly same circumstances, same weather, altitude, humitity etc. There will be large differences. Some thing as simple as how much air was available in dyno facility, air temp and humitity can cause large number differences. Thats why there are correction factors, but they are still just an approximation. Different dynos will give different results. You could have your car dynoed at X dyno facility on Monday and go down the block on Tuesday to Dyno facility Y and you will get two different results. And not just different by a few hp, but probably by a significant amount.
Its like saying my car will do 13 sec in quarter mile and yours will do 12 seconds, but I am racing uphill and your racing downhill. Need to race/test exactly the same, which is difficult at best.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

yeah.. yeah... I know. We race cars not dyno's and every dyno does read differently. I also tend to think that the saying is more of a cover up. Most, stock LS4's dyno around 245-255hp on various dyno's. I guess I Just wanted to hear what Buickracer had to say about this. Also, I would like to know what he thinks of the headers....
I'm happy with them, I just found his old post, and went wtf....??
Old 05-05-2010, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

Peak horsepower misleads again...

Look at the rest of the chart, what did it do to the torque curve?
Peak horsepower is cool, but cars don't run at one rpm all the way down the track.