LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

suspension parts....

Old 05-03-2010, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension parts....

I have looked high and low for some drag racing suspension alternatives/upgrades....

I really had my eye out for the bump stop spacers used by alot of Wbody guys for the back suspension...I cant seem to find out WTF these things are or where they are at! LOL...and then was wanting to possibly get an adjusting rear suspension...IDK who makes one for our cars? you guys might know a lil more...

I did look at the control arms form ZZP and the poly bushings for them...those are def. a must for straight line to counter some tq steer...and all around better handling on toe angles and it is a total of 6lbs shed!!! not too bad!

So any help would be appreciated....thanks guys...as always!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

I think Intense makes spring blocks. The slip between the spring coils so the spring can't compress, which keeps the rear from squatting and keeps more weight on the tires. I've heard that some vehicles are shipped with spring blocks (I think it was the imported Aussie Pontiacs) that you can use.

I'm not sure I'd spring for the control arms (unless you want to lose the weight), because the mounting points are the same. Therefore, the geometry should be about the same, and the performance should be about the same. I'm guessing most of the performance change is due to the lower unsprung mass, but I don't know that.

Our suspension is pretty solid as is, but if you want to alter it you'd probably get more bang for your buck with the SSC lowering springs and bushings. If you want an adjustable rear suspension that doesn't involve you getting the spring blocks out of the trunk, air bags are where its at.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always enjoy reading both of your guys' posts.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

/\/\ I agree!! these guys know their stuff!!
Old 05-04-2010, 01:30 AM
TECH Resident

lower your front with the ssc springs but keep the stock springs on the rear so you have a little rake to the front then add the spring blockers to the rear. Our cars tend to sit with the rear low and because of weight transfer with the rear lower it takes more weight away from the front which is what you don't want on a fwd. It probably wont look right but it will help you hook..
Old 05-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Launching!

The ZZP Control Arms in my opinion are not worth it for the price. There is a guy who on GPF.net who is modifying and welding the LCAs into one piece.

http://www.grandprixforums.net/f59/r...rms-21162.html

Link is a little old but I've been talking with him and he is getting a batch together with another guy on the forum I believe. VinnieGTP runs the W-Body Store LCAs, which were made by Ron Vogel, and the ones JJ is making should be very similar, with some added benefit. Vinnie says "What torque steer?" when talking about his LCAs. If I'm not mistaken, he's "whippled."

Ultimately for suspension, aside from my KYB AGX and Eibachs, my BMR Trailiing arms are the best part yet. I'm not positive if they work on your all's cars. How different are the 97-03's to the 04+?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Drag racing parts are hard to come by. I've been emailing the major shops and companies in the W body world asking for advice but so far none of them have been any help at all
Old 05-05-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone know where I can get polyurethane stabilizer bushings? Front endlinks I already have.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:50 PM
12 Second Club

Wheelie bars man.... like what the import guys use LOL!

Search this Thread