LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

July Hot Rod - Turbo 409 in 2007 Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bahdeets
We used an actual jony joint - one that slid right into the cradle and fit in the OEM space that was designed for the original control arm joint. The jony joint we used is commonly used on rock crawlers - it is massive. The control arms are made of 1-1/4" OD 4340 tubing with .125 Wall.
Awesome, Ive been looking at them on curries website trying to figure out which one i could have machined into the stock LCA. Regardless though awesome build. keep us posted!!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adapting a jony joint to OEM control arm puts a good part with a bad part. OEM control arms are only stampings and have no where near the strength a fabricated tube design would have. I have seen what high HP can do to our stock control arms on a Dyno and it is scary. I would not recommend using the basic frame work of our control arms instead I think it would be best to start from scratch such as we did and make the basic control arm structure from heavy wall tubing specifically E4340. We may have over engineered our CA but unlike ZZP who under engineered theirs (not sure if it was the heim joint that gave out or a structural issue with the tubing being too light and not able to hold up to the stresses of the design) and took them off the market - we will never have an issue with structural failure.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

91parkave: Take a look at this link
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...7/photo111.jpg
You can see the jony joint we used. Overkill maybe but it won't fail.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Large enough to slide right into the cradle where the original control arm joint bolted up. Run your bolt through just like the OEM and wall-la a perfect fit.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So I have to bump this old thread. This car is amazing and just a complete work of art. I sent the owner a message about the car and how it was holding up. Great guy to talk to and he informed me of his next venture. Some of you on multiple forums probably already know of this, but it was news to me so I thought I would share it. The thread can be found here, and I am sure this car will be even more amazing that the first as we learn what will and will not work.

http://montecarloforum.com/forum/pai...ppening-52046/

Quick Reply: July Hot Rod - Turbo 409 in 2007 Monte Carlo