LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

predator vs trinity

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default predator vs trinity

my question is basically the same as the title. what is the real gain in getting the trinity over the predator. Also if a get a tune form lew is there any difference in what parameters he has access to for tuning
Old 07-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Launching!

I get my trinity today when ups gets here. Eventually, there will be trans support from the trinity. Also, the predator is discontinued, so it will never be supported with software upgrades. To me, the predator looks like the cheaper way to install a tune. The trinity on the other hand, has all the bells and whistles, and will continue to receive more upgrades over the years. Lew has package deals when you buy a tune and trinity from him, for $685 straight up, thats the route I went. Considering the Predators are around $300, then another $125 for a tune, I decided to fork out the extra $250+ to get the trinity. Also, if you ever decided you wanted to flash your Trans computer, you would have to factor in the extra cost in getting someone else to do it with different programs with the predator. I say go with the Trinity, and I haven't even received mine yet!

Just arrived!!!!

Last edited by JWMayes; 07-13-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by RedArmy87
my question is basically the same as the title. what is the real gain in getting the trinity over the predator. Also if a get a tune form lew is there any difference in what parameters he has access to for tuning
Hey there...

The Trinity has more features, better data logging, and will get updates in the future, such as tcm/transmission support, and also an update that will allow you to tune more than one vehicle at a time with it...

predator's will not be getting any of those updates...

the predator will not be getting any new functionality updates in the future like the trinity will... the predator's are memory/storage space limited... they're all done and will be phased out in the future...

if you do get the predator, you will also have to buy the pc interface kit for it - which is the usb/serial cable and power adapter, so that you can connect the predator to your windows pc in order to download recorded data logs, and import/export tune files for custom tuning.

The Trinity comes with everything you need, so no need to buy anything additional.

Tune wise, they have the same tunes in them... except for when the Trinity gets the tcm/tranny update - then the trinity will be able to make changes to the transmissions settings as well, but the predator will not. Plus there are a couple more parameters available in the newer tune file format with the trinity for custom tuning than there is in the older file format from the predator.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 07-13-2011, 03:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Trinity hands down.

SD card support, on screen logging, analog inputs, all of these features make it a great upgrade over a Predator
Old 07-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the quick answers. As mentioned with the tcm/tranny update is there any word or idea when the update is coming?
Old 07-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RedArmy87
Thanks for the quick answers. As mentioned with the tcm/tranny update is there any word or idea when the update is coming?
If it's like the Predator, it'll be never...
Old 07-14-2011, 01:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

nah... it's actually being worked on... first tcm support will be for the 2007+ trucks, 2010+ camaro, 2006+ vettes... which should be out shortly.. (i've seen a tcm tune file already )

then the tcm module for our cars, gto's, 05 vettes, etc will be continued to be finished up after that...

and yeah, it will be for trinity only... heh...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 07-14-2011, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

Can I use the Trinity in place of my Predator Lew? Or would I have to re-install my stock file and start all over again?
Hopefully the Trinity will burn my file for me when I plug it in like the Predator did.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Can I use the Trinity in place of my Predator Lew? Or would I have to re-install my stock file and start all over again?
Hopefully the Trinity will burn my file for me when I plug it in like the Predator did.
aaaah, right.. you sold your predator.. and still have the custom tune on the car...

the trinity "should" save that custom tune in the car as the "original backup" in itself... but I have seen it happen before with other cars that it will not.. it will know that it is not a stock GM tune on the ecm, and it won't let you tune it or anything... I don't know if that happens with our cars, i've never tried it haha....

of course if you just want to do logging, you don't have to install any tune or have it save the file anyway.. you can just do logging with it..

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 07-14-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

while you guys are updating things and introducing new stuff.....start support for 2007-up LS4s so i can get one
Old 07-14-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
while you guys are updating things and introducing new stuff.....start support for 2007-up LS4s so i can get one
Old 07-15-2011, 08:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
yeah, I hear ya man... that's the E67 ecm.. .they don't have support for that ecm module yet.. so a lot of people are waiting for that... you guys, cadillac guys, etc etc...

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 07-15-2011 at 09:28 AM.