Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Recurring Wheel Bearing Problems?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
TECH Enthusiast

Trader Rating: 0
Default Recurring Wheel Bearing Problems?

Has anyone had recurring issues with wheel bearings going bad? I had my right wheel bearing replaced this past July at 37,000 miles. Today, I dropped my car off at the dealer for the intermediate steering shaft popping, and in addition to that, they found both wheels bearings are bad at 44,200 miles.
Has anyone else experienced this? What could cause them to go bad so frequently?
I don't race or autocross my car... I don't get it. The good news is that the bearing are covered under the powertrain warranty.

2008 Grand Prix GXP- K&N CAI|3" Downpipe|Flowmaster Exhaust|Don Rome STB|TransGo Shift Kit|Tranny Cooler|Optima Yellow Top|35w 5k HID lows & fogs|JL 12" W3|Pioneer 1800W mono block amp|iPod integration kit|New Era Performance Dyno Tune
texasGXP08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Launching!

Trader Rating: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasGXP08 View Post
Has anyone had recurring issues with wheel bearings going bad? I had my right wheel bearing replaced this past July at 37,000 miles. Today, I dropped my car off at the dealer for the intermediate steering shaft popping, and in addition to that, they found both wheels bearings are bad at 44,200 miles.
Has anyone else experienced this? What could cause them to go bad so frequently?
I don't race or autocross my car... I don't get it. The good news is that the bearing are covered under the powertrain warranty.
I come across this problem frequently and I find that most of the time it's due to the cheaper Chinese knock-off wheel bearings or just improper installation. Make sure they use a good brand (Timken is great) and that they're using the right amount of torque to install. Bearings should not wear out that quickly, even with aggressive driving.

Go: Vararam, OBX 3'' headers, OBX 3'' X-pipe, Solo axleback, tuned by DiabLew

Show: Stock 19'' powder coated black, tint, de-badged trunk

JessmoMonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Staging Lane

You're talking front hub and bearing assembly right? What GM vehicle DOESN'T have reoccurring issues with this? Done way more than my fair share of replacements. I'm all for OEM replacement parts but there are some GM parts that aren't made as well as aftermarket. Fuel pumps, wheel bearings, alternators, water pumps, etc.

2007 GXP Red Jewel Tintcoat
twomorestrokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to 06MonteSS

yeah, can't do just the bearings on these cars.. have to do the whole front wheel hub assembly... have done mine twice... along with new front axle assemblies too because the cv joints were shot... 120,xxx miles on the car...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
06MonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4

Just wondering how much that cost lew?

Digs show who can drive better, Rolls show who has more money
Hawkins04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
TECH Enthusiast

I just picked up the car and it drives like new. Unfortunately I am positive the tech beat the **** out of it because the g-force meter was on the DIC when I got in the car. I can't win.

2008 Grand Prix GXP- K&N CAI|3" Downpipe|Flowmaster Exhaust|Don Rome STB|TransGo Shift Kit|Tranny Cooler|Optima Yellow Top|35w 5k HID lows & fogs|JL 12" W3|Pioneer 1800W mono block amp|iPod integration kit|New Era Performance Dyno Tune
Old 02-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #7
Launching!

damn, When i took mine in for tint i reset g meter! recorded milage and trip and recorded everyting with my phone
rm08gxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm08gxp View Post
damn, When i took mine in for tint i reset g meter! recorded milage and trip and recorded everyting with my phone
Good thinking. I will be sure to do that next time. Although the next visit to the dealer may be to trade it in...

Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement