LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

HID lights for '06 SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID lights for '06 SS

I was told that HID lights wont work on our cars unless I get rid of the Auto lights. Can someone point my in the right direction to keep the daytime running lights with the auto lights.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigboymike68
I was told that HID lights wont work on our cars unless I get rid of the Auto lights. Can someone point my in the right direction to keep the daytime running lights with the auto lights.
I have HIDs on my 06 ISS and have no issues. Ive had them for about a year. And I using them without a relay.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

are you still using your day light running lights and auto lights?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Its not that they don't work, its more that the DRL's run at a lower wattage(i've never checked myself with a meter) so it will cause the HID's to burn out "faster" than normal.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

easiest way to get rid of auto lights....put electrical tape over the light sensor problem solved been running that way for almost a year now
Old 01-24-2013, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
Its not that they don't work, its more that the DRL's run at a lower wattage(i've never checked myself with a meter) so it will cause the HID's to burn out "faster" than normal.
Are you sure you mean wattage? Power consumption is not what should matter, and power consumption can only be calculated not measured (Voltage X Current = Volt Amperes or Current Squared X Resistance = Watts or Sin of Volt Amperes = Volt Amperes Reactive). I'm pretty sure you mean voltage because the current will be dependent on the voltage and resistance (Ohms law- Voltage/Resistance = Current). You would be correct though becuase power would change as you change voltage. The only constant here would be resistance. So as the voltage drops, the current drops, and then based on the power formula the power would drop as well. I dont see how lower V,I and P would decrease the lifespan of anything though. If anything I would expect it to either not turn on at all or burn a little dimmer.

Last edited by crich88848; 01-24-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Launching!

got my HIDs from ddmtuning since they have lifetime warranty and never had problems with the HIDs for 4 years just recently idk what happened that one of my fogs wires got cut off i guess it got snapped on something since my wires were kinda just hanging lol but just got new bulbs and everything is fine

what i did about the drl is just pulled out the DRL fuse located in the fuse box near the battery... problem solved... well also everytime i hopped in the car i turned off auto lights and turned on just my fogs, became a routine thing everytime i hop in auto lights off fogs on traction control off...
Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Do the daytime running lights operate at a lower voltage? I would assume that if they are not as bright as when in normal mode that they do. Another question I have is do the DTL even turn on with HID lights, if they do do they behave properly (do they stay on, flicker, etc)? It may be that the lower voltage is not enough to produce the arc across the electrodes and by continually trying to create the arc at the lower voltage could be a cause of a lower lifespan. It would seem that as long as a constant voltage is applied for DTL that a simple step up transformer could be used to obtain the correct voltage while in DTL mode if the voltage is AC. There are many factors here that must be considered though, what voltage do the HID lights run at, is it AC or DC, what is happening with the voltage while in DTL mode. If the voltage is DC you could always use a relay that operates at the same voltage and then run a wire off the battery into a NO (normally open) contact off of that relay. Then if the voltage needs to be changed from there add a resistor in series to create a voltage divider. I was also reading that some DTL turn the voltage on and off which also results in a dimmer light. If this is the case then a simple triggering relay with a off delay could be used and then the same idea with a wire off the battery as I stated before. It is very possible to make these lights function properly for cheap, if the above info is provided to me I could get you the correct circuit needed along with a bill of materials. I guess it all depends on how much you really want to make these lights behave properly in DTL mode.

Last edited by crich88848; 01-25-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about these cars specifically but I know other recent GM vehicles use PWM/pulsed DC to make the DRLs dimmer. This constant pulsing is what often hurts the balasts.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
Not sure about these cars specifically but I know other recent GM vehicles use PWM/pulsed DC to make the DRLs dimmer. This constant pulsing is what often hurts the balasts.
That would make perfect sense too. I'm not real familiar with the theory of HID, but from what I read the most wear on these lights comes from turning them back on before the internals have recrystallized. There are ways to eliminate this though and have properly functioning HID DRL.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Assuming we want to disable the DRL, which kit allows us to have a reliable setup controlled by the manual headlight switch? Meaning, the lights would always need to be manually controlled. To me, this would be a bonus since I always turn off the DRL as soon as I start the car anyway.

I am a big boy and I can turn my headlights on all by myself
Old 01-26-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006 Silver Monte SS
Assuming we want to disable the DRL, which kit allows us to have a reliable setup controlled by the manual headlight switch? Meaning, the lights would always need to be manually controlled. To me, this would be a bonus since I always turn off the DRL as soon as I start the car anyway.

I am a big boy and I can turn my headlights on all by myself
post#5
Old 02-27-2013, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my Silverstars burned out the other day, so I ended up ordering a $30 VVME kit on eBay. Installed em on my lunch today. Went 5000K, and I'm kinda wishing I went 4300K instead. We have 6000K in our Envoy, and I was hoping these 5000Ks would get rid of almost all of the blue, but they are still a tiny bit blue for my tastes. They'll likely lighten up a tiny bit though once they are broken-in a bit, so I'm not too concerned.

I've got some black tape over the light sensor right now, but that is a pretty ghetto solution really. I came across a post at grandprixforums.net that looks pretty promising:

http://www.grandprixforums.net/elimi...rix-22405.html

I did basically that exact same process on our Envoy last year, and it works great. DRL's are disabled, but the automatic headlights still work, and foglights can be turned on separately. The only downside is that the perimeter lighting function is lost as well, which was a bit of a bummer on the Envoy, but worth it otherwise.

Quick Reply: HID lights for '06 SS