LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Custom cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom cold air intake

I've seen some people come up with interesting custom intake ideas. I'm looking to make a custom cold air intake and I'm pondering if ram air is possible. Has anyone attempted to it?

I was looking to see if a setup like below would work or possibly use an air box that would be plumbed down to the opening next to the fog light. Any input?

Old 03-30-2013, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been done on an Imp here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...on-system.html

Or you can always do the GXP ram air headlight:

http://www.gmls4.com/index.php/topic...8.html#msg4978
Old 03-30-2013, 02:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That impala is full of fail.
Essentially I'm using the whole fender area for a cold air box and no restrictive bends and since I modded my stock DRL lights to fit in the opening below the stock location it gets air through the stock DRL location it always gets Ambient air temps. Water ingestion isn't a problem either with the filter being that high its been through monsoon season with no problems.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't this the same concept as the Intense FWI? Do you have a picture of the front view with the light installed, I'm confused as to how you meant that air gets in from the previous DRL spot.

Is my idea of getting air from over the radiator like my picture or over the headlights feasible? I don't like all the bends in that Impala intake or the fact that I'd have to take the bumper off.

My second idea was to run an enclosed cone filter with a box encosure the CAI setup with a secondary air tube connected to the center section of the cone that routes down by the lower valance area.

Also, is there a PCM cover or anything to protect it going with a custom intake route?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 06_GXP
Isn't this the same concept as the Intense FWI? Do you have a picture of the front view with the light installed, I'm confused as to how you meant that air gets in from the previous DRL spot.

Is my idea of getting air from over the radiator like my picture or over the headlights feasible? I don't like all the bends in that Impala intake or the fact that I'd have to take the bumper off.

My second idea was to run an enclosed cone filter with a box encosure the CAI setup with a secondary air tube connected to the center section of the cone that routes down by the lower valance area.

Also, is there a PCM cover or anything to protect it going with a custom intake route?
Essentially yes and like I said that impala is dumb as hell. The big black surround you see seperates the filter from the engine bay and fender well. The piping is about as straight as possible I also had room because I relocated my coolant resovoir I'll take more pics later to clear everything up for u

Quick Reply: Custom cold air intake